A rundown of homecoming week 2021

Todd Parola

On the field, students gathered to dance and have fun among others.

Mino Castillo-Juarez, Staff Reporter

For the first time in two years, Meridian students had homecoming week. School spirit was running high, giving this year a feeling of normalcy. Curious about what happened last week? The Lasso has you covered.

Volleyall 

The seniors started off strong on Wednesday afternoon continuing their winning streak against this year’s juniors in volleyall. It was a back to back scoring game with a surprising ending. After the seniors won the first set, the juniors were quick to respond with a victory in the second set. Juniors were winning 14-9 in the third set, but seniors won every point afterwards to win the game. 

Powerpuff

Seniors dominated the juniors in a 35-0 blowout victory. Although there was a clear winner, both teams had very athletic players. The senior class had highlights with touchdowns, interceptions, and great “tackles.” But don’t discount the juniors because there were running plays and passes to keep the crowd on the edge of their seats.

Pep Rally

There were many activities at the pep rally, including tug-of-war, field goal kicks, a three-legged race, flag tag, and musical chairs. The seniors quickly took down the freshmen in tug-of-war, and shortly after the juniors managed to beat the sophomores. The seniors then went on to defeat the juniors in the final round. The next event, field goal kicks, led to a tie between the seniors and the sophomores. Seniors then also won the three-legged race after a good competition put up from the other classes. But the seniors didn’t win everything, with flag tag being next and won by the juniors. Finally, the seniors won the final event of the day, musical chairs.

Football game

The Meridian football team scored 61 points against Skyline on Friday night. The student section was filled to the maximum with energy and cheers. At halftime, the winners of the homecoming court were introduced. Seniors Ben Atkeson and Coral Rankin were named homecoming royalty.

Students walk towards the homecoming dance.
Pictured is a group of students and Mr. Snyder walking to the dance. From left to right: Mr. Will Snyder, Joe Donovan, Danny Oppenheimer, and Jay Humphreys. (Todd Parola)

Dance

The highly anticipated homecoming dance fell into place just as students hoped for. The field was filled with students dancing with the glow sticks given to them at the entrance. Selfies and singing were a frequent sight to see among the student body on Saturday night.