Best local brunch spots for fall weekends

Isabel Costa

Rare Bird Coffee during their brunch hours.

Isabel Costa, Managing Editor

October is finally here and bringing busy schedules filled with SATs, summative assessments, and fall fun. Even the sacred weekends are full of sports, family dinners, and last minute homework assignments. But before your stressful weekend days begin, take a moment to grab yourself some brunch and wake up for the day.

Luckily for Meridian students, Falls Church has the perfect breakfast options for brunch alone, with friends, or with family.

IRELAND’S FOUR PROVINCES SUNDAY BRUNCH – brunch menu

Taking a Sunday morning family brunch is a great way to escape school life and Ireland’s Four Provinces have the perfect options. Their all-you-can-eat buffet style brunch has all your classic necessities like bacon, waffles, breakfast pastries, and strawberries and whipped cream. They also have a homemade omelet bar where you can pick ingredients for a hot, freshly made omelet. Brunch starts at 10 a.m., so you’ll have plenty of time to sleep in before feasting.
Recommended: Homemade Omelets

Northside Social – brunch menu

If you’re looking for a more social brunch or want to do some homework with friends, Northside Social is perfect for you. They have a range of excellent breakfast sandwiches as well as classics like eggs Benedict, oatmeal, and avocado toast. NoSo also offers pastries and cookies, including gluten or dairy free options. Their weekend brunch menu is offered from 9am to 3pm and you can also order from their all day coffee and tea menus. 

Recommended: House-made Bacon and Poached Egg Sandwich

Cafe Kindred's bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on a croissant.
Cafe Kindred’s bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on a croissant. (Isabel Costa)

Cafe Kindred – brunch menu

Cafe Kindred is a perfect place to check out alone or with a few friends. They have a no laptop policy for their brunch from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekends, which is a great way to take a step back from homework. You can listen to 90s rock or watch a soccer match over a great cup of coffee and a pastry. They offer a variety of homemade pastries, like scones, croissants, and cinnamon rolls. As a main course, there’s a full English breakfast, excellent sandwiches, and classics like French toast and pancakes. 

Recommended: Bacon, Egg, and Cheese on a Croissant and London Fog Latte

Lazy Mike’s – full menu

Lazy Mike’s is a Falls Church lunch staple, but their menu has a number of breakfast items that are perfect for brunch. You can even go for breakfast-for-dinner because Mike’s entire menu is available all day. They sell breakfast sandwiches on bread or bagels, omelettes, pancakes and french toast, and all the classic homemade sides. 

Recommended: Banana Pancakes

Rare Bird Coffee during their brunch hours. (Isabel Costa)

Rare Bird Coffee Roasters – online ordering menu

For a smaller cafe feel and a little quiet, check out Rare Bird Coffee Roasters. They have a small business feel, right down to the coffee they source from other small businesses. You can find homemade pastries, breakfast sandwiches, and a variety of hot and cold drinks.

Recommended: Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit