The Lasso’s top 11 Stories

Sam Mostow, Editor-in-Chief

The following is part of The Lasso’s annual end-of-year tradition, in which we look back on the most outstanding parts of the past twelve months. Be sure to check out our other Top 11 pieces! Wishing you all a happy new year.

The Lasso had a very busy 2021. We started the year writing from our respective homes on BigBlueButton and are now fortunate enough to have class together every other day. While we are proud of all of our stories, here are the Top 11 most-viewed stories that we published in 2021, along with an excerpt from each article.

Honorable mention: Why there should be nap time in high school

By Fernanda Molina

From the article: “I have seen many of my classmates fall asleep during a lecture in class. I’m sure you have too. It might have even been me, at some point.”

Note: This article, for some inexplicable reason, has been our most read article over the past few years. It was our most viewed article of 2021, however, it was published in 2018 and does not qualify for this Top 11 list.

11: Editorial: Keep asynchronous Mondays

By Editorial Board (Sequoia Wyckoff, Sam Mostow, Sarah Lambert, Anna Tarter)

From the article: “Since the start of hybrid learning, asynchronous Mondays have provided a desperately needed breather to students and teachers alike. For students, they serve as “catch-up days,” allowing students to complete late and long-term assignments. Asynchronous days also allow teachers to plan for the simultaneous online and in-person instruction they are expected to prepare.”

10: The best pizza in the Little City

By Isabel Costa and Clara Kasik

From the article: “Your favorite Lasso foodies have put together a review of six Falls Church favorites so you can find whatever slice of pizza you are craving.”

9: Volleyboys name changed to “volleyall”

By Liam Timar-Wilcox

From the article: “School administrators changed the name of the name of volleyboys, the annual intramural volleyball game played between juniors and seniors, to “volleyall.” They decided to change the name in an effort to promote inclusivity and create a better reflection of the school community.”

8: A definitive ranking of 16 chairs in the new school 

By Megan Clinton and Truman Lapp

From the article: “Outlets! Spot for computer! Very comfortable and functional. It would be awkward if there was more than one person here. We can see a romantic couple being able to sit here, but say two platonic school friends were to try and sit here. One way trip to awkward-ville.”

7: Scenes from the 2021 prom

By Stella Turner, Clara Kasik, Isabel Costa, and Tucker Ward

From the article: “To view all the 2021 prom photos taken by The Lasso’s photographers, visit this album.”

6: School name changed to Meridian High School

By Sam Mostow and Megan Clinton

From the article: “After months of community debates and committee meetings, the School Board voted 5-2 Tuesday night to change the name of George Mason High School to Meridian High School.”

5: “Lady Mustangs” needs to be retired

By Stella Turner

From the article: “Formally, the teams themselves are described as ‘boys or ‘girls.’ But when it comes to mascots, female athletes are frequently called ‘Lady Mustangs,’ while male athletes are only ever referred to as ‘Mustangs.’”

4: Editorial: GMHS should not begin Hybrid phase-in next week

From the article: “Dr. Noonan should not go through with the plan outlined in Wednesday’s announcement. Bringing all GMHS students back into the building should be delayed until the COVID-19 metrics in our region more clearly demonstrate low community risk, and until faculty and staff have achieved immunity from COVID-19 (roughly a week after their second vaccine dose).”

3: Silverman, Tysse, Gould, and Ortiz win School Board, as Connelly, Hiscott, Snyder, and Lian win City Council 

By Editorial Board (Sam Mostow, Eva Williams, Liam Timar-Wilcox, Megan Clinton)

From the article: “The four candidates elected for School Board are Lori Silverman (18.31%), Kathleen Tysse (18.14%), Tate Gould (16.95%), and David Ortiz (16.78%)… The four candidates elected for City Council are Marybeth Connelly (21.87%), Debora Shantz-Hiscott (21.59%), David Snyder (20.16%), and Caroline Lian (18.00%).”

2: Mustangs weigh in on proposed school names

By Megan Clinton and Audrey Morrison

From the article: “Next week, The Falls Church City School Board will be voting on the new names of George Mason High School and Thomas Jefferson Elementary School. This comes after the name change committees for each school proposed five potential names to the School Board.”

1: Homecoming FAQs

By Elizabeth Creed and Clara Kasik

From the article: “The homecoming dance will be held on the Meridian football field on Saturday, October 2 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.”

Thank you for such a great year. We look forward to an even better 2022!