FCCPS announces new COVID-19 guidance in response to Omicron variant

A graphic of masks.

Eva Williams

A graphic of masks.

Sam Mostow, Editor-in-Chief

During a YouTube town hall on Sunday night, Superintendent Peter Noonan reaffirmed Falls Church City Public Schools’ commitment to maintaining in-person learning, while following guidance from public health officials. 

Noonan addressed the community in response to the rapidly-spreading COVID-19 Omicron variant, which is causing a national surge in cases. Falls Church reported a 24.8 percent test positivity rate in the week of January 2.  

First, Noonan stressed the importance of not attending school if you are feeling sick or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. Some common symptoms of the Omicron variant are fever, runny nose, congestion, cough, sore throat, fatigue, and/or muscle aches. Noonan asked parents to make arrangements for students to be able to stay home if they are not feeling well, while he recognized the inconvenience. 

“The number one way of mitigating any of the issues associated with Omicron, Delta, or any of the COVID variants is to not come to school or not come to work if you are not feeling well, or if you have symptoms,” Noonan said.

Mask wearing in schools will continue and the school system encourages wearing two masks and masks that fit very well. If possible, students should consider a healthcare grade mask, such as a KN95.

In addition, Noonan reminded the community to take the Daily Health Screening each morning before leaving for school, to evaluate for symptoms.

FCCPS will continue other mitigation strategies, such as deep cleaning the school, having students eat lunch outdoors weather permitting, and continuing social distancing in classrooms. 

If a student or staff member tests positive for COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status, they must immediately report the result to the school. Then, they must isolate for five days from the date they first began experiencing symptoms or the date of the positive test. They may return to school anytime from days six through 10 if they are not experiencing symptoms or if their symptoms are resolving, meaning they have not had a fever for 24 hours without fever-suppressing medication. Those who test positive must continue to wear a well-fitting mask that covers the nose and mouth for the remainder of the ten days.

A change in the protocol is FCCPS will clear students to return to school, not the Fairfax County Health Department as previously done, because they are overwhelmed. 

If a fully-vaccinated person is deemed a close contact to someone who tests positive, they do not need to quarantine unless they are experiencing symptoms.

If an unvaccinated person is deemed a close contact, they need to quarantine and obtain a test after day five. If the test is positive, they must follow isolation guidance. If they test negative, they must continue to wear a mask around others but do not need to quarantine.

An infographic explaining quarantine guidance if a student or staff member tests positive or is exposed to a positive case.
An infographic explaining quarantine guidance if a student or staff member tests positive or is exposed to a positive case. (FCCPS Leadership Team)

The school system is expecting a new batch of BinaxNow rapid tests for students to give to students and staff who are symptomatic. However, these tests will not be given to anyone who is asymptomatic, those returning from travel, or unvaccinated close contacts.

On February 1, the FCCPS definition of what it means to be fully vaccinated will change to reflect CDC guidance. Students and staff must be fully vaccinated and received a booster by January 17. Exceptions are granted to those who received their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine in the last six months or received the first Johnson & Johnson vaccine in the last two months.

“I wouldn’t stress out too much over this new fully vaccinated definition,” Noonan reassured.

Parents need to upload their students’ most recent vaccination cards to the school portal.

FCCPS will continue its ViSSTA COVID-19 Screening Test Program, where a random sample of students enrolled in the program are tested weekly. The next testing sample will be on Thursday, January 6. 

On Sunday, FCCPS partnered with the health department to host a drive-thru testing site at Mary Ellen Henderson Middle School. They administered 686 tests in six hours.

To conclude the town hall, Noonan emphasized that the school system will not close or move to concurrent teaching. However, he is bracing for the likelihood that many students and staff may have to stay home.

“We are preparing for the worst and expecting the best,” he said.