New parking lot drives morning headache

Photo via Falls Church City Public Schools

A map of the new parking and dropping off routes on the secondary campus.

Molly Moore, Managing Editor

As a consequence of the start of construction on the site of the old school building, the former senior parking lot on Haycock Road will be closed starting on Monday, April 4. This forced students to adapt to new changes in their daily routine. 

There are two new parking lots accessible for students and staff that were built earlier last year, along with the new school. The south parking lot is located in front of Henderson and Meridian. To enter the lot, turn into the campus from Leesburg Pike and immediately take a right. The east parking lot rests behind the upper athletic field, near the tennis courts and softball field. Like the south lot, to get to the lot, you can turn from Leesburg Pike and then turn left towards the MEH drop off spot. Then, you drive past the middle school to find the parking lot. 

The east lot is available for seniors to use and the south lot is available for juniors to use. Those who paid for their spot were given designated spaces where they will park each morning. 

More cars than ever are driving in through the Leesburg Pike entrance, which has caused a backup as people try to enter at the same time. 

“Today I left home at 7:46 which is when I normally leave,” junior Rex Crespin said. “On average, it takes me about 10 minutes to get to school. On a normal day, I would’ve sat in my car for four to five minutes, and then walked to class and been in my chair by 8:03 or 8:04. Today I parked at 8:10.”

Freshman Edith Jagerskog also had some thoughts about the new situation, 

“I didn’t mind parking in the new senior parking lot with my sister,” freshman Edith Jagerskog said. “However, my friend was upset because he had a very hard time finding his space.”  

FCCPS suggests that students arrive around 7:30 a.m. to avoid the morning rush. More information about the parking situation can be found on the FCCPS website.