105 miles for opportunity: The Lion Pride Run

Everett Johnson, Staff Reporter

Kate Fletcher, an English teacher at Louisa County High School, ran 105 miles to raise college scholarship money for who matters to her: “my students.” 

In 2016, her journey of making college possible for students began with a 35 mile run on the track in Louisa. With the support of local businesses, she was able to raise enough money for two college scholarships.

The next year, she raised the bar to 50 miles and garnered media attention from CBS and NBC – Fletcher was even featured in Runners World. In 2018, she upped the ante once again, running 100 miles on the track.

In 2019, she left the track to run on the road, going past every school in Louisa County. The following year, she ran all the way from Louisa County to Richmond. This year, she’s looking to cross off another capital, running to the reflecting pool in Washington, D.C.

Fletcher is congratulated and praised by a spectator.
Fletcher is congratulated and praised by a spectator. (Molly Moore)

Along the way she ran by Meridian, joined by members of the track team to cheer her on and keep her motivated. They ran on the Washington and Old Dominion trail, which goes through Falls Church, and left Fletcher with nine miles until her final destination.

“We were out there supporting [Fletcher],” Katherine Anderson, a member of the track team, said.

Over the course of the seven years that the “Lion Pride Run” has taken place, $70 thousand has been raised for scholarships, programs at Louisa County High School, and other community programs. With the support of their sponsors and contributors Fletcher and her community have raised enough money for 22 scholarships, and in doing so, inspired all of us along the way.