School Board speaks against Youngkin’s transgender student policies

Kaylah Curley and Sophia Borghesani

In a policy released by Republican Governor Glenn Younkin earlier this school year,  new guidelines have been introduced concerning the rights of transgender students in the Commonwealth of Virginia. 

The School Board has released official statements regarding the Governor Youngkin’s new policies regarding transgender students in Virginia public schools. (Graphic by Kaylah Curley)

These guidelines mandate that students use restrooms, pronouns, and names based on the sex they were assigned at birth, consulting official school records. The draft policy requires schools to notify parents concerning their child’s gender identity in order to get permission to change pronouns and names, potentially outing teenagers in an unsafe environment. This additionally prevents transgender students from playing on sports teams that match their gender identity. 

During the past week, the Fall Church City school board has made an official statement concerning the school’s position on these policies. Following the initial announcement made by the state education department in September, the school board mentioned how they would continue to support and protect the rights of all students in the system.  

“Both the FCCPS administration and the School Board were disappointed by the model policy as we value and support every student in our school system,” commented School Board president Laura Downs on the school board’s behalf. She added, “we support our students and are ready to work in partnership with the GSA should the members decide to take any public action to address this model policy.”

However, the policy is not yet final and the school board is waiting to see the concluding format of the guidelines. Despite this, the board affirmed that “in the meantime, our students are protected from discrimination and harassment through these School Board policies: Policy AB – Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Policy AC – Nondiscrimination, Policy JB – Equal Educational Opportunities/Nondiscrimination, Policy JBA – Section 504 Nondiscrimination Policy and Grievance Procedures, and Policy JFHA/GBA – Prohibition against Harassment and Retaliation.”

The school board is planning on taking several steps to address and take action against the modeled policy as how it’s currently structured in conflict with the Virginia Human Rights Act and the settled law of Grimm v. Gloucester County School Board, 972 F.3d 586 (4th. Cir. 2020).  

While there hasn’t been an official lawsuit filed by FCCPS, the administration still intends on taking legal action, admitting that “as of now, our attorney is in conversations with other school systems. Once the final policy is released, we will work with our neighboring systems to figure out next steps.” 

The school board aims to work with other FCCPS administrators and staff to collaborate on forming their response, saying, “once the final policy is released, the School Board will work with Dr. Noonan to determine the next steps. We do have policies already in place to protect all of our students from harassment and discrimination.”

Furthermore, the FCCPS administration wants to assure and remind students “that our schools are a safe space to seek help and the staff stands ready to provide that support.”