Cross country finishes strong at states

Amity Pratt, Staff Writer

Meridian’s Cross Country team had a record-breaking season with successes in district, regional, and state competitions. After achieving first place at Cross Country Regionals Paul Green Park, the Cross Country team trailblazed through the VHSL Class 3 XC state championship, achieving record-high scores. 

“We [The Meridian Cross Country Team] were not expecting to win regionals. It was surprising…” said junior Katherine Anderson prior to the state competition. 

Following the team’s victory at Paul Green Park, the team competed in the state championship in Salem, Virginia on Nov. 12. “We were excited for states after our win at regionals but knew states would not be as easy,” Anderson said. 

The Meridian Cross Country states qualifiers pose for a picture at their final meet. (Photo courtesy of Molly Moore)

During the state championship, the girls’ team placed fourth, scoring 107 points overall, a ten-point improvement from last season and their second consecutive top 4 state finish. The girls’ team was led by All-State finishes from senior Grace Crum and sophomore Molly Moore. Crum achieved a well-earned 10th-place finish followed by Moore’s superb 15th-place finish. Crum was the highest Mustang state finisher for the Girls since 2014.

The boys’ team placed ninth, with 195 points overall, beating William Monroe High School, and having their second consecutive top-10 finish. The team was piloted by junior Tucker Albaugh’s 24th-place finish and senior Henry Hladky’s 36th-place finish. 

“Within recent memory and my time on the team… we have never scored this high during states,” Anderson said, commenting on the team’s performance. 

After this extraordinary season of Cross Country, the team’s future is bright. Although this is the final season for many exceptional seniors, Meridian and the Cross Country team are looking toward the future. As the team says goodbye to some of their fabulous runners, they welcome the new talent that will join the team next year and bring the Cross Country program to even greater heights.