Mustangs rout Nelson County at Homecoming game

Senior Jack Felgar carries the ball while junior Connor Plaks blocks for him. Felgar had particularly impressive game and led the team to victory.

Sam Mostow, Editor-in-Chief

On the gloomy Friday night, September 14, with Hurricane Florence moving away from Falls Church and Homecoming had student spirit high, George Mason (3-0 overall, 1-0 in Bull Run District) demolished the Nelson County Governors (1-3 overall, 0-1in Bull Run District), in a dominating 48-0 win. Led by senior Jack Felgar’s 165 yards and 2 touchdowns, the Mustangs scored early, often, and never looked back on the Nelson County defense.

Mason running backs dominated Nelson County, combining for five touchdowns. Sophomore Nathaniel Jaramillo had 7 carries, 82 yards, and a touchdown. Junior Matthew Teague ran twice for 64 yards. Freshman quarterback Evans Rice only passed twice, but connected with junior Michael Turner both times for a total of 71 yards and 2 touchdowns.

The defense also produced a shutout, led by Felgar and sophomore Walter Roou, who each had 9 tackles.

Junior Enzo Paradiso had an interception, picking off Nelson County’s sophomore quarterback, George Brown Jr. During the next drive, Jack Felgar ran the ball to the end zone 49 yards for his first touchdown.

“{Our running backs were} great,” said Coach Adam Amerine, postgame. “That’s what we like to do–we run the ball. Our goal is to get 300 yards rushing every game, and so we can spread it around; I think three or four different running backs had touchdowns tonight so, you know, ultimately that’s a pretty successful night.”

The George Mason crowd was as rowdy as ever on homecoming. They had a lot to cheer for as the pep band played loud and with passion for all four quarters.

At halftime, the homecoming court was introduced, with seniors Nick Wells and Maeve Keating being crowned king and queen. The freshmen on the court were Eli Wildman and Bella Paradiso, the sophomores were Jared Robbins and Sonora Sulc, and the juniors were Martin Yoon and Niharika Singhvi. The seniors were Carter Jones, Lorien Hinsz, Will Dixon, Lifan Xu, Mithi Penaranda, Shannon Rodgers, Manuela Cox, and Cassandre Rice.

This week’s game at Skyline High School (1-3,0-2) should be a closer game than last week. Skyline has already played one of the best teams in the conference in Central. Skyline is a much bigger school than George Mason so this Friday’s game on the road will be a first big test for the Mustangs.