Quit being cold

Mason students need to stop cyberbullying our superintendent

Photo by Maggie Traverse

Two students walk home from school in the snow today, Friday, February 1. Many people were upset that school was not cancelled today. However, many students actually chose to walk home rather than take the bus.

Editorial Board

Yes, it’s cold. Yes, it’s snowing. Yes, it’s slippery. No, this does not give you an excuse to be obnoxious, rude, and blatantly disrespectful.

Considering we’ve only had one full day of school in the past week, it’s hard for us to believe that students are so outraged with our superintendent, Dr. Peter Noonan, to the point where they are harassing him on social media, specifically Twitter. But that’s exactly what’s happening.

Over the past few years, Twitter has become the main information source regarding delays and cancellations in public school systems like FCCPS. Twitter is a great way to communicate announcements efficiently and allows students, parents, and faculty to publicly respond. However, it has also brought out the immaturity of students.

Mason students have been ridiculously disrespectful on Twitter, telling Dr. Noonan that he “should be ashamed” and that “nobody likes him” in response to his tweet this morning regarding the two hour delay.

https://twitter.com/erbjorklund/status/1091344448657805312

To our fellow students: give Dr. Noonan a break. His job is not just to give you the day off every time it snows. A lot of things go into the decision, as is explained on fccps.org. Plus, admit it, most of you would’ve gone out today anyways if we had the day off. Too dangerous for school, but not too dangerous for the mall? And for the students saying that “he only has one job,” don’t be ignorant. His job consists of much more than calling snow days.

I understand that it can be dangerous sometimes when it’s icy or snowing. I was one of the people who got in an accident last time there was a “no-call,” so I really understand. But let’s cut him some slack. He’s only human. Also, analyze your reason for being angry. Are you mad because you feel like you were putting your safety at risk or because you have to come to school?

We get it; you’re upset and frustrated. But cyberbullying our superintendent is not an appropriate way to express it.

And to Dr. Noonan: keep doing your best. We know that it’s not always black and white, well, most of us know. You don’t need to be “ashamed,” it’s the students who are behaving this way that should be ashamed. We are too old to be acting like this, Mason, and when we do this, we are simply hiding behind a screen.