Girls basketball is going to states

Girls basketball varsity team players posing with Coach Chris Carrico after achieving a states berth. (Photo Courtesy of Becki Creed)

Ella Gilmore, Staff Reporter

Track. Soccer. Tennis. Baseball. Softball. Lacrosse. If you ask any student-athlete at Mason right now what sport is on their mind, chances are they’ll answer the above. With spring sports starting this week, it can be easy to forget that one winter sport is still going strong. 

Due to their latest win against William Monroe High School, 38-33, the Mason girls varsity basketball team is going to the state tournament. Tomorrow, they’ll travel to Brentsville High School to play in the final game of the regional tournament. If they win, they’ll become the Regional Champions. But for now, the idea of states is enough for many of the players.

“[I feel] very hype, I love how the team came together for a good win,” freshman, Peyton Jones said.

Her fellow teammate, freshman, Elizabeth Creed, agrees. “I’m very excited…I feel confident that we’re gonna get a win [at states].” 

The season got off to a rocky start, with the team winning only two of their first five games. However, they quickly rebounded and started a winning streak that lasted six games. Their latest win adds to their five-game winning streak, which started with the defeat of Warren County, 57-39. The team’s current record is 17-8-0.

“I feel like it’s been a good season, and we’ve grown a lot closer and gotten more comfortable with each other on the floor and off the floor,” Jones said.

The last time the Mason girls varsity basketball won the state tournament was in 2012. Now, the pressure is for them to bring home the first state win in eight years. Despite the high stakes, the players are still confident in their chances.

“This is what we’ve been working towards all season, and all our hard work has paid off,” Creed said.