Here is what you missed at the virtual senior meeting

Pixabay

Principal Matt Hills and Director of Counseling Ilana Reyes met with the senior class to discuss updates on future plans. (Photo Courtesy of Pixabay)

Fernanda Molina, Editor-in-Chief

On April 3, 2020, the senior class met with the Director of Counseling Mrs. Ilana Reyes and Principal Mr. Matt Hills through a Schoology conference. They gave updates on the following:

1. Kings Dominion and SkyZone:
The senior trips to Kings Dominion and Skyzone, which were scheduled to take place on June 8-9 have been canceled. Administration plans to refund students’ money in six to seven weeks. Students can organize outside of school as a group to go on their own.

2. Prom:
Prom, which was scheduled for May 2, will not able to happen on the original date. The administration is hoping to let the senior class be able to share the funds raised from the junior class. Additionally, they are working with the PTSA and outside parent support to be able to host a prom over the summer that best fits the senior class interest.

3. Awards Ceremony:
The awards ceremony will still take place, but it will be a virtual ceremony. The administration is trying to find the best way to award those that have earned scholarships and awards. Additionally, a program is being coordinated that allows all parents and friends to see their students.

4. All Night Grad:
The All Night Grad event was scheduled to take place on June 10th, but is canceled for the original date. The board is trying to find a way to mirror that event, but are still unsure as to when it will happen. Nonetheless, they are hopeful that the event will still happen somehow.

5. Fines Day/Returning Computers:
More information will be communicated on this once Virginia gets more information from Governor Northam.

6. Cap and Gown:
The Caps and Gowns have been delivered to the school. Administration and some teachers are planning to deliver each cap and gown directly to students’ homes during the third week of May.

7. Graduation:
Graduation was scheduled to take place on June 10th, but the original date has been canceled and graduation will not take place at DAR Constitution anymore. The administration is planning on dividing graduation into two parts. First, a virtual graduation is planned to take place between the last week of May and the first week of June. Second, the administration is hopeful that the senior class will have some sort of in-person graduation once the stay at home order is lifted. Additionally, the last day for Seniors is May 29, 2020.