Independence defense is too much for visiting Mustangs

Carter Mackinnon, Staff Reporter

Picture of the basketball court
The Mustangs played their last game of their short season on Monday night, losing to Independence with a score of 77-35. (Photo by Charlie Adams)

The boys basketball team played their worst game of the season on Monday, and it showed on the score sheet as they fell 77-35 in the Region 3B quarterfinal vs. Independence. The Mustangs were without several key players tonight due to quarantines and midseason opt-outs.

“We were missing three starters who are all very experienced players. However everyone out there tonight loves basketball, and has heart and that’s all that matters to me,” junior Mac Duross (#24) said. “Independence was a good team, even with a full line up they’re a tough team to beat.” 

After 1:53 seconds of no points in the first quarter, the second seeded Tigers started off strong with a layup from Wesley Williams (#2). The points kept falling for the Tigers and the quarter was capped off with a 3-pointer from freshman Raj Shah. Independence (9-4) led 15-2 at the end of the first quarter.

The seventh seeded Mustangs (3-3) weren’t able to make a run in the second quarter and the Tigers wouldn’t stop scoring. The Mustangs only made three field goals in the half and trailed 33-8.

The Mustangs were finally able to start scoring in the second half. 3-pointers by Duross and Duncan Miller only cut the Tiger’s lead to 26. From there the Tigers went on a 18-8 run and closed the quarter up 58-24.

As the fourth quarter rolled around the game was completely out of hand. Midway through the fourth quarter senior guard Bobby Asel (#10) was subbed out for his final time. The Tigers finished off the game and beat the Mustangs 77-35.

The Tigers were led by Williams 17 points and Shah with 15 points (4 three pointers). The Tigers also had 12 of 13 players score points. Independence will take on the Cougars of Manassas Park on Tuesday.

The Mustangs were led by Duross with 12 points, Miller with 8 points, and Wyatt Trundle (#43) with 7. Mustangs leading scorer Bobby Asel was held to 6 points. The Mustangs end their brief season with a 3-4 record.