Cicada Summer has arrived

Kaylah Curley, Managing Editor

Cicadas on a tree
Brood X cicadas are present in various areas around the Little City. Many can be seen on or around trees (Photo by Megan Clinton).

Trillions of Brood X cicadas rose from underground after 17 years of hibernation. This is the first time the colony has emerged since 2004. As the temperature of the ground has reached 64 degrees, these cicadas have started to emerge. They are saturating the trees, yards, and bushes of the local area and filling the air with a constant and deafening buzzing noise. 

The noise is one of the most concerning issues. Even under normal cicada circumstances, the summer buzzing is a distraction. But the Brood X population has created a higher volume of noise. The Brood X cicada population is now reaching up to 100 decibels, which is about the same as a leaf blower or lawnmower. 

“It’s crazy that they are covering every surface and how loud they are,” sophomore Ella Petree said.

The constant droning noises are now covering up the daily bird chirping of cardinals and other yardbirds. Freshman Briana Corry anticipated the noise of cicadas would be frustrating.

“Although it will be interesting to see all of these cicadas at first, I believe the noisiness and the sheer number of them will bring a lot of annoyance,” she said.

Corry later added, “I heard they would be everywhere and they will be big, which makes them very creepy. I will be very excited for them to be gone at the end of the season.”

After the cicadas emerge from the ground, they shed their exoskeletons. Cicada exoskeletons accumulate on the ground and on trees. (Kaylah Curley)
The Brood X Cicadas are emerging after hibernating for 17 years. Many students at Mason were not born the last time this large Brood emerged. (Kaylah Curley)