How to spend your snow days

Molly Moore, Managing Editor

A snowy morning scene from Falls Church’s first snow day of the year. (Molly Moore)

Snow days are the best part of winter. They make the cold and dark months a little brighter by giving students a glimmer of respite as they wait patiently for spring. Here are some ideas to help you take advantage of your days off. 

Make a milkshake out of snow. 

Milkshakes shouldn’t be reserved for summer time, and a snow day presents a perfect opportunity to break the norm. Grab some fresh, untouched snow, your favorite ice cream, and whipped cream and enjoy!

Binge watch your favorite show.

The top ten most popular current Netflix shows. (Molly Moore)

When school work piles up, students often don’t have time to catch up on their favorite show. A snow day is the perfect opportunity to spend hours watching TV. Here are some ideas if you don’t know what to watch.

• Gilmore Girls 
  • Grey’s Anatomy 
  • Queer Eye
  • American Horror Story
  • New Girls
  • Selling Sunset
  • Schitt’s Creek 

Do an at home workout  

For those who find staying inside all day dreary, doing an at home workout may help you feel energized and productive. Whether you spend 10 minutes completing a yoga practice, or a 45 minute HIIT workout, any movement will release endorphins to brighten your mood. 

Bake cookies.

Freshly baked white chocolate chip cookies. (Molly Moore)

Baking cookies is the best way to relax while making something you can enjoy for days. The comforting aroma of butter and sugar will fill your kitchen, pairing perfectly with the white oasis outside your window. 

Make hot chocolate from scratch 

Warm and rich hot chocolate is the best addition to the cold wonderland outside the window. Ditch the Swiss Miss powder by attempting to make your own version out of warm milk, confectioners’ sugar, and cocoa powder that may even be better than your typical cup of hot cocoa. Finally, add whipped cream, crushed peppermint bits, marshmallows, and chocolate sauce to bring the drink together! 

Go for a walk in the snow.

A quiet, snowy morning in Falls Church City. (Molly Moore)

The white blanket that covers trees, grass, roofs, and roads calms the bustling world for a moment of the year. Taking advantage of the serene environment by being in it will make your snow day more enjoyable. So bundle up and go for a walk, even if it’s short, to truly experience the rare annual occurrence. 

Sleep 

Everyone wishes for a few more hours when their alarm sharply awakens them each morning. But when a snowy day finally comes, hit snooze, curl up in a soft blanket, and sleep for as long as you’d like.