Info on the upcoming ATL Day

Clara Kasik

Students participate in a GIVE Day activity, similar to one offered during Monday’s ATL Day. The ATL Day on January 31 is centered around service,

Isabel Costa, Managing Editor

When is our next ATL Day? 

Meridian students will have their second ever FCCPS Approaches to Learning day during the teacher work day on Monday, Jan. 31. Just like the last ATL Day, students will be required to submit a reflection on their service and action project and attendance will be taken.

What is the next ATL Day? 

The theme of next week’s ATL Day is service and action. GIVE (“Get Involved, Value Everyone”) Day, a service based club with members at the elementary, middle, and high schools, will host a variety of opportunities for students to participate in. Meridian students can attend one of GIVE Day’s secondary campus activities or choose their own forms of service relating to the 16 International Baccalaureate subject groups (found in this presentation) to fulfill their ATL Day obligations. 

What activities will GIVE Day offer? 

In addition to several fundraisers and drives throughout January, the club will wrap up the newly designated “FCCPS GIVE Month” with a series of service opportunities on Jan. 31. 

From 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., eligible students and adults can participate in an Inova Blood Drive being hosted in the Meridian parking lot. 

At 11:00 a.m., the Meridian GIVE Day Club leaders will host an open panel featuring several guest speakers sharing experiences and opportunities in local community service. 

At 12:00 p.m., the Henderson GIVE Day team is hosting the club’s annual meal packaging event. High school students can sign up to help put together dehydrated meal packages to be sent to communities in need. 

You can find the complete list of division-wide GIVE Day opportunities here.  

What other service opportunities are there? 

The ATL Day presentation has service ideas for each of the 16 IB subject groups in case students are having trouble coming up with an idea. For example, students can write to their School Board with ideas for improvements, help clean up local parks, or donate materials and time to service organizations.