Senate confirms Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson to Supreme Court

Kaylah Curley

A protestor hold a “I’m With Her” in front of the US Supreme Court Building. The protest comes following the Supreme Court’s decision not to block a restrictive Texas law against abortion.

Kaylah Curley, Managing Editor

Following the announcement of Justice Stephen Breyer’s retirement at the end of the court’s term in June, President Joe Biden nominated Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court of the United States. On Thursday, April 7, In a 53-47 vote in the Senate, history was made,  confirming Jackson as the first female African-American Supreme Court Justice in history. She received bipartisan support with 50 Democrats along with three Republican senators.

As noted, Jackson will be the first Black woman to serve on the highest court in its 233 year history. Jackson was born in Washington, D.C. but grew up in the Miami area. A highly qualified nominee for this position, Jackson has two degrees from Harvard University, where she attended both as an undergraduate and as a law student. After graduating from law school, she clerked for Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer and served as a federal district court judge for eight years. 

The historic Senate vote was cast with Vice President Kamala Harris, a symbolically powerful moment as the first woman Vice President and person of color presiding over the vote. “On this vote, the yays are 53. The nays are 47. This nomination is confirmed,” the Vice President said, followed by rounds of applause by Congress.

There is an abundance of history surrounding this nomination, as the newest Justice is the daughter of two parents who attended segregated schools. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer commented, “Ketanji Brown Jackson will be the first, and I believe the first of more to come.”

Jackson takes to the Court as a riveting inspiration to young girls and other women to look up to. As she goes from Judge Jackson to Justice Jackson, she will continue to inspire the actions and goals of many.