Morgan’s Message raises awareness at sports games

Sophomore Ally Campbell poses behind the Morgan’s Message information table at the club’s first dedication game. At dedication games, the club raises awareness for athlete mental health by educating spectators and involving the players in their pursuit. (Photo via @meridian_morgansmessage)

Arianna Vargas and Molly Moore

Junior Tilly Gale founded Meridian’s chapter of Morgan’s Message at the start of this school year to spread awareness about mental health struggles for athletes. Morgan’s Message is an organization dedicated to end the mental health stigma in athletics.

In 2014, a young athlete named Morgan received an offer to play lacrosse at Duke University. At the beginning of her sophomore year at Duke, Morgan endured a life changing injury to her knee, which not only committed her to a year long recovery process, but began her struggle with anxiety and depression. Throughout the next two years, her mental health significantly declined and she took her life on July 11, 2019. Morgan’s family started Morgan’s Message to raise awareness for mental health in athletes and commemorate her life.

“I wanted to start this club at Meridian because I’ve participated in events and tournaments for the organization and as an athlete I thought it would be important for Meridian to get involved in spreading Morgan’s Messages to not just athletes nationwide but to our very own here at Meridian,” Gale said. 

Meridian has hosted dedication games to spread the message throughout the community. The most recent game was the girls soccer game on May 5. 

“We had a table set up to educate about Morgan’s Message, the players wore Morgan’s Message wristbands and blue hair ties. Being able to spread awareness about student athletes’ mental health and hold a dedication game for Morgan Roger’s was such a great opportunity, and it was beautiful to see the positive impact of Morgan’s legacy.” said Ambassador of Morgan’s Message Club, sophomore Ally Campbell. 

Students interested in joining Morgan’s Message at Meridian can contact [email protected] for more information.