What is Mustang Block really for?

Every year, freshmen walk through the doors mixed in with the rest of the student body arriving for their first day. They look down to their schedules and make their way to their first class. Realizing that first block wasn’t as difficult as they thought it was, freshmen waltz out of class confident about the rest of the day. Next comes Mustang Block.

During these first weeks of school, I’ve been walking around during Mustang Block and I’ve seen multiple freshmen standing in the middle of the halls or sitting on the ground looking lost and confused.

I remember my first Mustang Block where I was just as clueless as all of this year’s freshmen.

According to Vice Principal David Serensits, Mustang Block is “the time set aside after first block to see teachers and catch up on schoolwork, but it’s also a time to unwind.”

Even though it is supposed to be an educational time, it is unstructured, which means that in reality, students usually spend their Mustang Block conversing with friends.

The Lasso spoke with a handful of students while writing this article and compiled a collection of responses from “hanging with friends” to “doing homework and meeting with teachers.”

“If I have something to do, I go to the library. If I don’t, I go to the alcove or find my friends,” stated junior Savanna Ibelli.