A backstage look at Meridian’s play

Promotional poster for “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged (Revised)”

Adin Smith

Catherine Norton, Staff Reporter

While the cast performed in “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged (Revised)” from March 31 to April 2, the light, sound, and costume crews were especially hard at work.

Senior costume designer Gayle Lobaton explained how backstage procedures influenced the performances delivered onstage. 

“It was a really hard show,” Lobaton said. “There were around 120 costumes, plus props and accessories, and it [was] a mix of modern and Shakespearan stuff, so deciding what direction we wanted to go with it was challenging.”

Lobaton was on a four person team with senior Adin Smith, senior Rachel Margarella, and sophomore Sophie O’Hara, who dedicated just as much time to the play as the actors.

“I was in charge of helping Katie [Rice] with her wigs,” Lobaton explained. On top of that, Lobaton was responsible for making sure Rice’s wigs withstood dramatic death scenes and even a human pyramid. 

Lobaton also worked on many of the other Shakespeare-era pieces that contributed to the over-the-top effect of the play, including Macbeth’s severed head, which was punted into the audience.

“It’s definitely the craziest play I’ve done,” Lobaton said, “I think we went through all of our clothes to find stuff.”

After praising the amazing feats of crew members Bella Villano, Avery Pike, and Wenndy Sejas for hitting their many cues, Lobaton went on to describe her feelings at seeing the finished products of the crew’s hard work on stage. 

“I didn’t actually [get] to watch the rehearsals, so it was really cool seeing everybody all dressed up, it really adds to the whole scene,” she said. “You’d kinda look a bit funky trying to do Romeo and Juliet in a t-shirt and jeans.”