Girls lacrosse wins regional championship, secures spot in state tournament

Molly Moore, Managing Editor

On Wednesday, May 25, the Meridian girls lacrosse team won the regional championship against Kettle Run at home. They dominated their competition, closing out the game 21-3. The Mustangs finished their regular season with a record of 13-1 and are 3-0 so far in the postseason going into the state tournament.

The 21 goals scored by the Mustangs were widely spread across the team. Seniors Bella Paradiso and Annie Moore, both planning to play collegiate lacrosse next year, led the attacking end, scoring five goals each. The following top scorers, all with two goals, were seniors Sydney Longer and Maeve Dodge, sophomore Caroline Carmody, and freshman Lila Deering. 

The Mustangs also attribute their success to the wall of defenders on the other end of the field. They were able to minimize the strong Kettle Run offense by driving them away from the cage. This caused many forced turnovers, ground balls, and opportunities for the Mustangs to carry the ball down the field and score. 

Paradiso, one of the four team captains, is excited by the chemistry the team has on and off the field. “We are all working really well as a team, setting each other up in all parts of the field,” she said.

The Mustangs’ team unity and trust has been a huge factor in their success this season. The team regularly participates in team bonding activities and celebrates important wins together. “[The regional championship] game was lots of fun and it was great celebrating at Wing Night,” said sophomore Tilly Gale. The Mustangs will face Loudoun Valley on June 3 for the quarter final game of the state tournament. Show up to cheer them on during their home game as they try to secure a ticket to the state semifinals game.