A recap of the 2022 World Cup

Vedika Thapliya, Staff Writer

The Netherlands eliminated the United States soccer team in the first knockout stage of the World Cup. (Photo via USA Today)

The FIFA World Cup is a soccer tournament that brings 32 nations from around the globe to compete against each other, taking place once every four years. The 32 qualifying teams are placed into eight groups, consisting of four nations per group. The top two teams of each group then advance to the knockout rounds, where the competition progresses from a round of 16 teams until only two teams remain and play each other in the World Cup final. 

Unlike the last World Cup in 2018, the United States qualified for the 2022 World Cup, traveling to Qatar in early November to compete. Their first group stage game was against a strong Wales opponent, a country in southwest Great Britain. The score was tied at 1-1. The United States team’s next game in the group stage was against England, where they tied again, 0-0. Their final match of the group stage was against Iran, where the United States secured their first win with a 1-0 victory. While the United States made it to the knockout stage with their impressive group stage performance, it was short-lived and they lost to the Netherlands in a 3-1 defeat.  

Students agreed that they were a little disheartened at how the United States performed in this year’s World Cup. “I was kind of disappointed that the United States didn’t even make it to the quarterfinals. We barely got to see them play,” sophomore Billy Asel expressed. 

“It was tough that [the United States] was eliminated so quickly, but I was glad I got to see my other favorite teams play,” sophomore Justin Kim commented. 

Argentinian striker Lionel Messi (10) pumps his fists in the air as Argentina wins the 2022 World Cup. (Photo courtesy of Eurosport)

The finals of the World Cup took place on December 18, where France was determined to reclaim the World Cup trophy for the second year in a row over a talented Argentina roster. The game was intense and left viewers on their feet as it went into extra time after being tied at 3-3. After a scoreless overtime, penalty kicks commenced, where Argentina scored four out of five times and won the World Cup. Overall, the 2022 FIFA World Cup certainly lived up to its expectations, giving students the exciting opportunity to cheer and watch their favorite teams at the international level.