Falls Church City sponsors Walk and Bike to School Day

Last year, dozens of students got out for Wednesday’s National Bike and Walk to School Day, traveling to school without a car or a bus. (Photo via FCCPS Morning Announcements)

Colter Adams, Managing Editor

On May 8, the Citizens Advisory Committee on Transportation (CACT) and the Health and Wellness Advisory Committee for FCCPS will partner to host a district-wide “Walk and Bike to School Day.”

The event is part of a nation-wide initiative to encourage regular physical activity and promote bike safety established in 1997 by the National Center for Safe Routes to School. With interest growing every year, the event eventually went international. 

Now, over 7,000 walking and biking events are registered to take place across the country every year. 

According to Andrea Caumont, the Chair of the CACT, the event holds special significance and value in our community.

“Our students are lucky to live in Falls Church City from a walkability and bike-ability perspective. Compared with some of our neighbors, our community is very dense, with lots of destinations within easy walking or biking distance.”

Event planners hope the City’s Walk and Bike to School Day will encourage students to incorporate regular physical activity into their daily routines, while also “going green” and reducing their carbon footprints.

“Walk and Bike to School Day is just one day,” said Caumont. “But it will hopefully inspire some participants to walk or bike more often, both while they are in school here in Falls Church, and wherever they may go in the future.”

Many students are eager to participate in the event.

“It’s something that the whole school community can enjoy. It’s good for our health, and helps the environment,” said junior Sameer Zaveri.  “I’ll definitely be biking.”