Spikeball: The new sports club taking Mason by storm

Mason students play Spikeball

Jack Calabrese

Ian Fry, Joseph Nelson, Nick Pollack, and Smith Kraft get ready for a serve during a Spikeball game in the auxiliary gym.

Jack Calabrese, Staff Reporter

Spikeball, one of the newest clubs at Mason this year, has given Mustang Block and lunches a new meaning. Students rush to finish their work and food so they can de-stress between classes with a fun and simple game they can play with their friends. 

Spikeball is a game played with 4 players, 2 on each team and a net in between. One player starts by spiking the ball at the net towards the other team, who must pass the ball to each other a maximum of two times, before spiking it at the other team. When a team fails to return a spike, or simply fail to return the pass from the other team against the net, the other team gets a point. A team wins when they score 15 points.

“The game is quite simple when you get the hang of it,” Charlie Adams, creator of the Spikeball club, said. 

“The Spikeball club is just a fun group of people who are just looking to have a good time,” Peter Villa, a member who has won two tournaments, said. “It’s very relaxed.” 

The club has held tournaments on most Fridays since its start earlier this school year, which allows kids to compete with and against their friends and win the prize of bragging rights and Spikeball stickers. 

Spikeball Inc. has provided three nets for the George Mason Spikeball Club because they were impressed with the number of members. 

“They actually sent us some nets when we contacted them about a potential sponsorship.”  Said Charlie Adams. 

“I think a lot of the clubs at Mason can seem like box-checkers for college resumés, in the sense that there isn’t much passion within the majority of the club constituency, but with Spikeball you get that passion, engagement and the hunger of competition,” Adams said.

The club is quite non-traditional for Mason in this way, but it gains validity from other aspects such as the physical activity involved. 

“I hope to pass down Spikeball to future classes and create a culture that affects mason in excitingly positive ways,” Adams said.