Ask Truman #1

Truman Lapp, Video/Broadcast Editor

A picture of Truman
Truman Lapp answers students’ question in an advice column. (Photo via The Lasso)

Hey guys. I’m Truman. They gave me an advice column. 

How do I make my room more Jungle Themed?

– Confused Carl

Hey Carl. I’ve never had to make a room jungle themed, but it feels like it would be pretty easy to do. Maybe tape together some strips of green paper and hang them from the ceiling as vines? Maybe you could put a humidifier in your room to give the air kind of a soupy feel? Or you could put a speaker somewhere, and have it constantly playing jungle ambience? 

That’s all I can think of right now. Good luck making your room jungle themed. Maybe send me a picture if it works out. Sounds like a cool idea.

How to get good grades?

– Ekul

Hey there ekul. I wouldn’t know, but I’d imagine it’s a mixture of hard work, focus, and determination. Talk to your teachers if you don’t understand a concept. Put extra time in if you’re struggling in a subject. These are all things someone has said to me at some point. Also, maybe work on your grammar. 

I’ve been feeling really lonely the past few weeks because homework is so overwhelming, and I miss being able to see people at school everyday even if I didn’t know them well. Any advice? 

– Anonymous

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been having such a hard time. I’ve also felt kind of isolated and at times throughout this year, and I would bet a good amount of money that if you asked anyone else, they would say the same. Whenever I’m feeling overwhelmed by school, or I miss seeing people, or if I’m just feeling kind of sad or depressed, I try to take a break from my daily routine and do something I enjoy. My advice to you would be to find whatever makes you forget about your problems for a while, and use it as a break from whatever problems you might be dealing with. Maybe find a way to safely meet up with some friends, or watch a movie. Maybe try a new TV series. If you haven’t already watched it, I would recommend Community (it’s on Netflix.) Very funny show once you get past Season 1. 

Thank you to all the people who sent in questions! I do my best to answer every person asking for advice, so if you want to be in the next installment of Ask Truman, ask me a question in this form.

Until next time.