Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

How does the scheduling process work?

The box where students put in their class registration request papers is in the counseling office. Class registration process started in early February, and is now over. (Photo by Ellen Rhee)
After midterm exams, most students are ready for a breather and can’t even think about the next semester, let alone the next year, but before students realize it course registration creeps up. Starting in early February, students were asked to start contemplating their classes for the next year (2015-16).Many students wonder why their counselors and teachers tell them to start the registration process as early as now. It’s only February, so why is it necessary to turn in class registration forms when there are still more than six months left until the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year?Surprisingly, counselors start working on the scheduling process in early November. They use a program called PowerScheduler, which helps them create a master schedule for the upcoming school year. Huge amounts of data, such as dates of the beginning and end of each quarter and course names, are put into it.

When students turn in their registration forms, counselors see how many students requested which classes and determine the number of sections necessary for each course. Then, later on, the teacher for each course/class is determined.

Counselors try to make the schedule work for everyone, and they do their best so that everyone can get their first choice classes. However, when there is a schedule conflict, it is usually the elective class that the student ends up changing. It is also why counselors ask for a second or even a third choice elective class. When a conflict occurs between major courses such as IB courses, some students must choose different courses.

“We hope that students are signing up for challenging classes where they can be successful,” said Mrs. Amy Kurjanowicz, the counseling director. She encourages students to talk with their teachers and counselors about class selection. Students shouldn’t hesitate to get help from counselors and teachers.

This process continues after this school year ends, and most of it is done over the summer. The master schedule is created, and the whole process completely ends in the beginning of September, which is when the new school year starts. The scheduling process goes smoothly and quickly as all counselors at Mason work hard on it.