Shed a little light on Hanukkah music

Catherine Norton, Staff Reporter

menorah
Hanukkah is also known as the Festival of Lights. (Eva Williams)

It’s that time of year, FCCPS community! Shout out to the Tribe Members sipping their Starbucks in green and red cups! The Christmas season is upon us and the time for hibernation approaches. But before we reach the It’s-December-So-Therefore-Christmas-Only-Exists Phase, I thought we as FCCPS could celebrate the Jewish miracle of light by shedding a little light on obscure Chanukkah songs! Forget Mariah-Carey-Pre-Thanksgiving-Season, the Festival of Lights begins at sunset November 28, let’s turn up the Macca-beats and begin the We-Didn’t-Die-So-Let’s-Fried-Food-Season!

Ocho Kandelikas (Eight Little Candles)

Are you in the mood to celebrate Chanukkah and need to impress your Spanish teacher? Well I’ve got news for you: there are Jewish songs in Spanish! Okay, so, sort of Spanish— let me explain.

The Iberian Peninsula was home to many kingdoms in the ancient world and it was the place to be for Jews in the Middle Ages. Almost every famous drash a Rabbi has ever given relates to this dude named Maimonides, also lovingly called Ram Bam.

The Philosopher and Medieval Torah Scholar was fluent in Ladino, a language associated with the Iberian-Jewish community. Ladino is basically a medieval creole language made up of Spanish, Hebrew, and Arabic. Although it’s rare, the Sefardí, Iberian Jewish descendants, still speak it today.

So, if you need a little boost with that Spanish grade, sing Ocho Kandelikas instead of Feliz Navidad, and be the favorite student in your class!

Chanuke, Oi Chanuke (Hanukkah, O Hanukkah)

No, autocorrect, that is the English spelling of the Yiddish Chanukkah carol, Hanukkah, O Hanukkah. A favorite all over the world in Jewish Preschools, the classic holiday song is only slightly less annoying than Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel and way cooler in Yiddish.

Why is it cooler in Yiddish you ask? Because your Bubbie and Zadie will appreciate it, and, as we all know, grandparents are the ones who give the best presents. Besides meaning a lot to them to hear you sing in Yiddish, they may be more inclined to give you the coveted cold hard cash as a gift for the giving season! I know the pronunciation is grisly, but grandparents love you no matter what, so give it a try!

Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate! (Eva Williams)

Sevivon, Sov, Sov, Sov (Spinning Top, Spin, Spin, Spin)

Like the aforementioned earworm Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel, Sevivon is a song about a dreidel. Why? Well, I’ve heard many reasons. They’re mesmerizing, it’s socially acceptable for adults to use them, and everyone is a kid at heart. If you don’t have a dreidel, go and buy one! Trust me, you’ll love it.

Sevivon is a Hebrew song about the miracle of Chanukkah that is nice, short and perfect for entertaining little cousins who don’t know who you are yet.

(I’m Spending) Hanukkah In Santa Monica

Now this was a fun listen. As well as being the only song on this list in English, I was unsure about whether or not to include it because it’s not a classic. Fortunately, the song by Tom Lehrer is, for lack of a better term, a mood, and will be a modern classic. It perfectly encapsulated the theme of American Jewry of taking ancient traditions, making them modern, and celebrating around food.

Happy Holidays to the people of Falls Church! I’ll be back for Pesach during the Bunnies-Eggs-And-Pastel-Candy season!

Word Bank:
Drash: A speech given by the Rabbi about the week’s Torah portion, a Jewish sermon
Bubbie: The Yiddish word for grandmother
Zadie: The Yiddish word for grandfather