A look into Meridian students’ experiences in the foreign service

A graphic of the globe.

Eva Williams

A graphic of the globe.

Catherine Norton, Staff Reporter

Every student connected with the State Department has unique experiences, and appreciation of the wider world happens to be a strength for Meridian students.

The IB curriculum, found in many international schools all over the world, was a topic of note for Tori Kidwell, a freshman at Meridian who previously lived in Ankara, Turkey. 

“I feel like having seen other places makes it easier to understand the school’s international mindset,” Kidwell said.

Kidwell added that they thought living overseas helped with growing empathy, even if they were glad that now they no longer need to order in Turkish at Starbucks.

Senior Isabel Cassily commented on the worldly nature of Falls Church.

“[Falls Church is] like a melting pot in a melting pot, because not only are there different people with different heritages,” Cassily said. “But it’s also people who’ve lived in different countries and cultures, [which] expands their worldview, because they’ve experienced more of it.” 

After reflecting on her experiences in Italy, Cassily offered a tidbit: “don’t use Google Maps in Venice. It does not understand the canals.”

There really is no better way to put it. Even if Northern Virginia doesn’t often see cows on the road climbing on motorcycles (which Cassily actually saw), there’s something special about home, sweet home.

“I learned a lot about open mindedness and respect [from living overseas] that helps me everyday by interacting with people from such different backgrounds and beliefs,” said Tucker Ward, a former Meridian student who currently lives in Panama.