Seniors gain long-awaited privileges

Megan Clinton, Managing Editor

The perks of being a senior include Senior Study and open campus privileges. Senior privileges finally began last week, and seniors are divided on their implementation.

“I love the way senior privileges give seniors a break from schoolwork and school in general. Especially during the end of the first semester, it is great to have a few hours off!” said senior Lauren Mellon.

Senior Nico Braverman signs out using an IPad while another senior signs out using a QR code to access a google form. Signing in and out of the building is required in order to exercise Senior Privileges. (Maia Tartaglino)

Beginning Friday, January 14, seniors will be able to leave the school campus during their lunch period, senior study blocks, and during Block 8 after they turn in a signed permission slip. Before leaving, seniors need to show their blue open campus pass and sign out using the QR code and Google Form in the front office.

“I think the implementation of [the privileges] took a little too long,” said senior Ricardo Quiroz. “I’m very grateful for our privileges but it would have been nicer to have them earlier in the year, especially due to the pandemic and heavy course load.”

In order to be eligible for senior privileges, seniors must be in good academic standing, meaning they are passing all of their classes. They also must not have received any type of suspension in the quarter before receiving senior privileges.

“I feel as though senior privilege allows seniors to have a more positive mindset pertaining to school. By allowing us to leave for lunch, I come back more excited for my last block of the day,” said senior Abbey Meighan.