Celebrities who grew up in our area

George Pimentel

Sandra Bullock attends “Gravity” Premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, also known as TIFF, in 2013.

Maia Tartaglino, Staff Reporter

Sandra Bullock

Sandra Bullock is an actress and producer. Bullock was born in 1964 and was raised in Arlington, Virginia. She attended Washington-Lee High School, now known as Washington-Liberty. She participated in the theater productions and was a part of the cheer team. After graduating, she attended Eastern Carolina University and began expressing her love for acting by performing in a “Peter Pan” production. Bullock has starred and produced in many productions over the years. Some of her most popular productions include “The Blind Side” (2009), “Miss Congeniality” (2000), “Bird Box” (2018), “Ocean’s Eight” (2018), and “The Proposal” (2009). In fact, she produced “Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous” (2005), which she starred in. 

Katie Couric

Katie Couric enjoys a Vanity Fair party in 2012.
Katie Couric enjoys a Vanity Fair party in 2012. (David Shankbone)

Katie Couric is a well-known journalist, producer, news anchor and author. She was born in Arlington, Virginia in 1957. She stayed local until the end of high school. She attended Williamsburg Middle School and then Yorktown High School. While at Yorktown, she expressed her interest in journalism by writing for her school’s newspaper. After attending and graduating from the University of Virginia, she began her career in news reporting. She worked as a CNN reporter and producer for the next seven years.  After finding positions in Miami and Washington D.C., she was named co-host and reporter for “The Today Show.” Over the years, she has written multiple books. In the early 2000’s she wrote two children’s books, but later decided to write for a more mature audience in 2011. Her two most recent books are “Going There” (2021) and “The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons From Extraordinary Lives” (2011). 

Jason Sudeikis

Jason Sudeikis beams after receiving his first Emmy award in 2021.
Jason Sudeikis beams after receiving his first Emmy award in 2021. (Rich Fury)

Jason Sudeikis is an actor, writer, producer and comedian who was born in 1975 in Fairfax, Virginia. He lived in Virginia for a few years before moving to Overland Park, Kansas. He stayed in Kansas for elementary school, middle school, and college. He started his career as a comedian in Kansas City by performing for audiences and soon found himself performing for extremely well known comedy groups at the time. He became a core member of “Saturday Night Live.” Some popular movies Sudeikis starred in include “Horrible Bosses” (2011), “We’re The Millers” (2013), and “Mother’s Day” (2016). Along with starring in these movies, he was also a voice actor for “The Angry Birds Movie” (2016).

Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison was a singer, poet, and songwriter born in 1943. Although he was born in Melbourne, Florida and lived there until third grade, his father was in the military and moved to northern Virginia and attended Fairfax County Elementary School. After briefly moving to Texas, the Morrison family moved back to northern Virginia in 1959 and he graduated from George Washington High School, which is now a middle school, in Alexandria. Following his transfer to Florida State University, he attended the University of California, Los Angeles. After graduating from their film school in 1965, Jim Morrison and three other peers formed a well known band called The Doors, of which Morrison was the lead vocalist. In 1971, he passed away due to heart failure, but was recognized greatly for his music and performances. 

Roberta Flack

Roberta Flack is a singer who was born in 1937. She was born in Black Mountain, North Carolina but was raised in Arlington, Virginia. When she was only 9 years old, she began expressing her interest in playing the piano. In her early teens, she became so skilled that Howard University offered her a full music scholarship. She enrolled at the age of 15, being the youngest student to attend. Before she became a professional songwriter, she moved back to Washington D.C. and taught piano lessons at her home. At night spots, she would sing blues and folk music during the intermissions. In the 1970s, she sang and performed jazz in a Washington nightclub. She released many popular songs such as, “Killing Me Softly With His Song” and “Oasis.” In 1999, she was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Today, she is 84 years old and lives in New York.