The queen of sports medicine

Stella Turner

Meridian’s athletic trainer, Vicki Galliher, celebrates after a Mustang victory.

Mac Duross, Staff Reporter

In the depths of Meridian High School lies a classroom lined with clinic beds, its outside walls constantly cluttered with backpacks and shoes. Injured athletes with hopes of healing flood to the room each day after school to the same woman: the queen of sports medicine, Coach Vicki Galliher. 

For 19 years, Coach G has been Meridian’s sole, full-time athletic trainer and sports medicine coordinator. She also taught two sports medicine classes, serves as the FCCPS Red Cross First Aid/CPR Training Specialist, and is the FCCPS Concussion Management Specialist. 

Coach G earned a bachelor of arts degree in Health Education and a master of arts degree in Sports Medicine from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. She then earned a separate bachelor of science degree in Athletic Training from George Mason University.

“My two greatest passions since I was a child have always been sports and medicine,” Galliher said. “I was a high school and collegiate athlete, and love all things sports.”

Originally, she planned on becoming an orthopedic surgeon, but changed course after discovering that pre-med chemistry was not her subject. Luckily, her situation was perfect for pursuing sports medicine and athletic training. 

“It was the perfect blend of my sports and medicine dream career path,” Coach G said.

One of Coach G’s favorite things about Meridian High School is getting to know the great student athletes we have here. She likes to build relationships with kids over the years and watch them grow and mature. Coach G really enjoys that working at Meridian provides her with the opportunity and time to connect with the students and their families. 

For the last question asked to Coach G about where she sees herself in the next five years she stated a funny remark, “Still at Meridian, but just about ready to ride off into retirement sunset.”