De-stressing this exam season

Catherine Norton, Staff Reporter

It’s May, and therefore, time for exams. This time of year is stressful for everyone as the pressure mounts to do well. Instead of taking part in the traditional, end of year panic, why not take some time to let your studying permeate your brain and chill out?

coloring
A coloring book with a nature design. (Photo via Unsplash)

Tip 1: Color Something

Most of us haven’t picked up a coloring book since elementary school, but as it turns out, coloring in between the lines (or trying) is actually very restful for your brain. Many companies sell adult coloring books with complex patterns and styles if you really need a break. If you have a short break in between exams, the counseling office has coloring pages free for the taking. So sit down, relax, create a coloring moment, you might be surprised at how good of an artist you are.

Tip 2: Take a Nap

Whether you’re a senior counting down the days, or a freshman dreading end of the year projects, naps are always a good idea. Why? Because it’s not only restful, it improves your alertness and memory just in time for the next assignment that requires your concentration. If there’s not enough time to go home and sleep, curl up in one of the hubs with a blanket and a pillow, and you’ll see the difference when it’s time to pick up your pencil.

exercise
Exercise helps to de-stress. (Photo via Unsplash) 

Tip 3: Exercise 

Endorphins — your body loves them. The little chemicals that give you a rush after a good run or a hard workout are biologically implanted in your system to improve your physiology. Not only does exercise take your mind off worrying if a question will appear that wasn’t on the study guide, it chemically keeps you feeling good and ready to work. So get out there and exercise, you’ll feel more prepared afterward.

Tip 4: Laugh 

Laughing may not be the best medicine, but it is a really good one. Both before and after a big essay or test is turned in, you may feel drained or anxious about a couple questions you fear you might’ve gotten wrong. However, laughter will make you forget about that instantly. Instead of fear mongering with peers after the finishing bell rings, try pointing out how extremely unlikely someone is going to be driving a train at 35 mph on the same track as someone driving 45 mph, and both are trying to figure out when they’ll crash on their analog watches. Because really, when was the last time you saw an analog watch?