Top three at AMC

Three recent blockbusters have struck movie theaters across the world.

Arianna Vargas, Staff Writer

Popular movies playing at AMC Theatres the past few weeks have captivated superfans and typical viewers alike. “Wakanda Forever,” “Avatar: The Way of Water” and “Babylon” are all action-packed adventure films bringing in billions of dollars to the box office. The “Avatar” sequel alone has already racked up $2 billion globally. (Graphic by Jamie Williamson)

“Wakanda Forever”

In “Wakanda Forever,” the characters must protect their kingdom from foreign powers. 

The sequel to the Marvel film “Black Panther,” it pays tribute to the lead actor, Chadwick Boseman, after his passing two years ago at age 43. 

After the death of King T’Challa, Boseman’s character, the secondary characters Shuri, Queen Ramonda, Dora Milaje M’Baku, and Okoye fight to protect their kingdom from invading foreign powers. As they grapple with their situation, the heroes turn to Nakia and Everett Ross to forge a new future for their cherished kingdom. 

Boseman’s heartbreaking passing devastated many marvel fans. Freshman Hannah Boesen described the movie as “a really emotional tribute to Boseman and the perfect setup for the future of Marvel.” 

The movie continued Boseman’s legacy into the next phases of the franchise. For example, the mask worn by Black Panther was the same mask worn by Black Panther’s sister, Shuri, in “Wakanda Forever.”  While the tribute to Boseman was sentimental, his passing brought in more characters and subplots. 

However, for fans like Boesen, the new characters didn’t enhance the film. “They tried to pack a lot into the movie and introduced too many characters,” she explained.

Others believe that the new characters added value to the film and made the plot more entertaining. Overall, “Wakanda Forever” has satisfied both the Marvel community and the average viewer. 

“Avatar: The Way of Water

Another sequel, “Avatar: Way of Water”, tells the story of main characters Neytiri and Jake Sully that start a family amidst a resurgent threat, which forces Jake to wage war against humanity. While fighting the war, Jake must contemplate his development. 

Fourteen years have passed since the first Avatar film was released, and for fans like junior Rachel Brantley, watching the first “Avatar” movie as a child had them eagerly awaiting the next film. 

“I grew up with the first ‘Avatar’ and they took the time to show the new world that they created,” Brantley said, “and [the setting] was showcased before the main plot, which I loved.”

“Babylon” 

The well-known “Babylon” cast, including Margot Robbie, Brad Pitt, Toby Maguire, and many other A-listers, have made it an enticing movie for viewers. While the initial reactions to the film were positive, it has begun to receive mixed reviews, as its cinematography and plot have been both praised and criticized by fans.

The movie follows several characters’ stories as they rise to fame during the late 1920s in the Hollywood movie industry. They face successes and setbacks as they adapt in the transition from silent to sound movies. 

This film’s camera work transports viewers into the 1920s with the old image of cinematography. The costumes, gambling, and authentic portrayal of the “Roaring 20s”, make the film more entertaining. 

One cast member that stood out to viewers was Margot Robbie. “As one of the most top actors in the country, Margot Robbie elevates this movie and has the most alluring plot in the film,” junior Madeline Aldana said.

The movie’s emphasis on the characters’ stories, as well as its depiction of their rise to fame and downfalls is a unique way to portray Hollywood and was generally well received by the public. This movie’s script, scenery, and execution makes it an intriguing film.