Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Senior night game recap: Meridian v Warren County

Senior offensive lineman Matthew Downs (77) lifts up senior running back Omar Dubburah (1) on a one yard touchdown. (Photo by Monroe Duff)

On Friday Oct 27, Meridian’s football team hosted their Senior Night against Warren County. The Mustangs won 28-7, their first district win of the year. Even on a teacher work day, the stands were filled with fans in all white-out clothing to support the seniors. 

Meridian came into the game 3-5 after a loss at Skyline. The Mustang offense started off fast once again with a long drive that wore out Warrens County’s defense. Senior running back Omar Dabbourah (1) punched it in with a one yard touchdown to take a 7-0 lead. Warren County moved the ball into Mustang territory but the defense held them to a turnover on downs which was an incomplete pass. 

The second quarter started with a two yard rushing touchdown from Senior running back Alden Harrison (9) to extend the lead 14-0. Meridian’s defense locked down the Wildcats’ offense before half with a sack from junior Domanic Zacharias-Martin (55). 

“Everybody stepped up and answered the call,” Coach Anderson said.

At the very end of the quarter the Warren County quarterback chucked it up and sophomore Corner Junior Martinez (17) caught an interception, one of two interceptions he had that night. This ended the half with the Mustangs up 14-0.

The beginning of the second half did not go well for the Mustangs. Warren County’s running back scored a 30 yard touchdown to get the game within 7. On the next drive, Warren County looked to have discovered the offense with Meridian going with a quick three and out. The next drive for Warren County ended at the 24, giving Meridian great field position.  

To start the fourth quarter Alden Harrison ran it in for his second touchdown of the day. The Mustangs extended the lead to a 14 point difference with a score of 21-7. The Warren County offense couldn’t figure anything out; they turned the ball over on downs with about seven to go. Senior Omar Dubburah (1) found the endzone for his second time of the night with a three yard score. Meridian finally iced the game with an interception from Omar Dubburah. The Mustangs won 28-7, picking up the first district win on the year.

Coach Anderson was very impressed with the nine seniors. 

“Our seniors? It was for them right? I mean, they’ve worked their butts off a couple of the guys for one year but a couple of  guys for four or five years.” 

The Mustangs finish their season next Friday on the road against Faquier and hope to end with a victory.