Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Citizens for a Better City introduces Candidate Integrity Pledge

The candidates for the 2023 City Council and School Board elections pose next to the Candidate Integrity Pledge alongside working group members. Not present: Ross Litkenhous, Tim Stevens and Amie Murphy. (photo courtesy of Hal Lippman)

On July 12, 2023, Citizens for a Better City (CBC) held the first ever signing ceremony for the Falls Church Candidate Integrity Pledge. All candidates campaigning in the 2023 election cycle have signed the pledge.

CBC is a non-partisan civic organization that works to promote effective government in Falls Church. The organization was founded in 1959 to support candidates for local elections and improve the City’s educational system. Currently, they do not function in campaign efforts or develop a political platform or support a specific party, but rather focus their efforts towards the schools, community development, and the overall progression of the City of Falls Church.

Sparked by the disproportionate influx of money in the 2021 election, CBC banded together to create the Candidate Integrity Pledge. They created a working group consisting of community members Sally Ekfelt, Don Foley, Pete Davis, Nancy Brandon and Ross Litkenhous in order to ensure the accessibility and integrity of local elections.

“We held community meetings and had an open discussion that everybody was invited to,” said CBC President Hal Lippman.

Candidates publicly pledged to maintain civil conduct throughout their campaign, and more specifically, to solely seek and accept campaign contributions “from those residing within [Falls Church City] borders – excepting, of course, in the case of close family and longtime friends.” as outlined in the pledge.

“Nobody hesitated,” Lippman said. Every candidate was ready and willing to sign the pledge.

Candidates are not required to sign the pledge, nor are there any direct consequences for violation. However, in signing the pledge, candidates agree to all of its contents based on their personal honor. Enforcement is left up to the discretion of the community.

“We said your word is your bond,” Lippman emphasized.

Lippman is hopeful that this initiative will continue to prosper as an effective form of maintaining accessibility of local elections. “We don’t plan to go away.” The CBC’s actions and specifics of the pledge may change and develop as the needs of the city change, but they are committed to working together for the prosperity of the city.

“It’s a work in progress. And that’s a good thing.”

View Comments (1)