Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Student groups respond to painter’s tape swastika

A painter’s tape swastika was discovered on a desk. Jewish student representatives have responded quickly (Graphic by Binyamin Hassan).

On October 12, representatives from Judaism at Meridian (JAM) met with members of school administration in room 438 to prepare a response to the recent event where a swastika was found on the side of a desk with painter’s tape.

During the event, the delegates brainstormed different methods of engaging with the student body, eventually settling on the recording of a short video. That video was to be played during the third block of the school day, for the purpose of communicating the unacceptability of antisemitic behaviors and beliefs.

Later, on October 17, JAM members met with members of the Black Student Union (BSU), and the Gender and Sexualities Alliance (GSA) to discuss a school-wide assembly to promote a united, tolerant message to Meridian students.

“The purpose of the collaboration was to stand together as a united front of minorities,” said junior Molly Mostow, a member of JAM leadership and one of the delegates to the meeting. “[We expressed] our frustration at the lack of respect towards the Jewish community.”

The swastika was found only four days after the beginning of the ongoing conflict in Israel, which led to a global rise in antisemitism. Antisemitic hate crimes have increased by 388% when compared to this period of time last year.

Alongside the video, a letter was sent out to all Meridian parents in response to the discovery of the swastika by Associate Principal Laub. The letter states that, “This symbol, universally recognized as one of hate and prejudice, is in direct opposition to the values we uphold at Meridian and FCCPS.”

He then announced that the administration was conducting a thorough investigation of the situation, citing Policy JFHA/GBA – Prohibition Against Harassment and Retaliation, the school’s rulebook for the prevention of discrimination based on protected class, such as religion, race, sex, or gender.

Mr. Jared Peet, teacher and leader of JAM, said in a Schoology post that people from all walks of life would collaborate on the message, explaining that their “voice and perspectives will be valuable.”

With the conflict in Israel escalating, Jewish organizations’ efforts to maintain a respectful and hate-free environment grow more difficult each day. 

As Meridian grapples with this horrific act, it also looks ahead to build fellowships and weather future tragedies. “In times like these, it’s important to have a space to come together as a community,” Mr. Peet said. “There’s no ‘right’ way to feel in these times.”