Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Will the weather outside be frightful?

A Falls Church backyard covered in a blanket of white snow. (Photo courtesy of Sophia Borghesani)

December has officially begun, and expectations of a snowy wonderland are on everyone’s mind. 

Waking up before school and seeing the blanket of pure white snow covering the rooftops is a nostalgic feeling that puts everything in the holiday spirit. 

Snowball fights, building snowmen, making snow angels, drinking hot cocoa and road closures are becoming a constant daydream for Meridian students. The past few years have been dreary for all snow-enthusiasts with an average of 0.4 inches of total snow in 2022.  

However, this winter may entail a record-breaking snowfall. Meteorologists from the D.C. area predict anywhere in the range of no snow, to a historic winter with 56.2 inches of snow. According to the Washington Post, “If that storminess combines with enough cold enough air, the D.C. area could be looking at its snowiest season in at least five winters.”

Due to global warming, drastic weather changes are likely to occur throughout winter, leaving the snow forecast up to mother nature…or that spoon under your pillow. 

Students at Meridian are already getting excited about the snow as posts flood all social media platforms saying that the DC area is “expected to get [the] most snow in 5 years this winter.” Snow days are known to be adored by students throughout the community.  

“I love being able to sleep in and enjoy being outside in the snow with my friends,” sophomore Fiona Gillaspy said, “I can’t wait to build a snowman, finally.”

One common snow day activity that many enjoy in Falls Church City is sledding, which requires at least 2-4 inches of snow. Sledding now hills like Mt. Daniel hill, the one behind cherry hill park, or even venturing to DC to capitol hill became a tradition. 

“I go sledding all the time with my friends,” junior Hugo Ratheau said.  

At this point in the season, it may be too early to forecast the exact snowfall, but the average range predicted is between 12-18 inches of snow.