Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Best sledding locations in Falls Church revised

Back in 2016, The Lasso identified the five best sledding spots in Falls Church. We updated the article this year to create an absolute and ultimate list. Snow will (hopefully) be here sooner than later. The DMV could be in for “the snowiest season in at least five winters,” according to The Washington Post. With that said, it is important to us that everyone is informed of the best sledding spots around town.

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any injury that may occur in any of these spots. Sled with caution, make rational decisions, and be aware of your surroundings.

A steep hill near the back of cherry hill park (Photo by Ryan Degnan)

Cherry Hill

Behind the community center and playground, there is a hill ideal for kids, away from roads and one of the safest spots for sledding this season. Despite it being a bit of a walk for most people, once you get there it is definitely worth it!

A group of sledders at the bottom of the hill at Lemon Road (Photo by Melissa Russell)

Lemon Road

From the front of the school, Lemon Road Elementary may seem very bland, boring, and not exciting whatsoever. However, once you drive to the back of the school you will see a giant wide hill that is perfect for sledders. Make sure to watch for your surroundings, as people zip down at tremendous velocity. Lemon Road is one of the most popular sledding spots in the Falls Church area.

View of Mt. Daniel drive hill (Photo via Google Maps).

Mt. Daniel drive

Anyone who went to Mt Daniel remembers the massive hill leading up to the elementary school. It provides an ideal sledding spot as long as you don’t go speeding directly into the street below it. So if you can stop in time, it is one of the best sledding spots.

View of the poplar heights hill from the base (Photo by Google Maps).

Hill(s) on Poplar Drive

On the base of the intersection with Poplar Drive and Timber Lane, you can see that there is a gargantuan and intimidating hill. Even better, there are two sides to the hill that are both very steep and very long.