Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Meridian students enjoy their snow days

The City of Falls Church received its first significant snowfall since 2022 last week which left students with only two days of school. The first storm began on Monday, Jan. 15 (MLK), canceled school Tuesday night, and resulted in a two-hour delay Wednesday morning. The second storm closely followed its predecessor, recoating FCC in flakes and canceling school on Friday, the last day of the semester.

The Lasso asked students to share their snow day activities and many like sophomore Claire Dassira echoed an appreciation the moment simply sleep and recuperate. Others, such as junior Sam Ettinger and sophomore Madeleine Lambrecht, used the time to catch up or get ahead on homework. Junior Katherine Steyn also completed homework while spending time “hanging out with friends [and] baking cookies.”

Many students took advantage of the rare icy gift to sledding, have snowball fights, and play games in the snow. Freshman Maddie D. said likes to spend her free day sledding with [her] little brother Mason, and playing with [her] dog Lucky.”

Freshman Adrian Castro shared a similar sentiment, “I spend my snow days cleaning my mom’s car, sledding and having a snowball fight with my friends. I end my snow day with a movie and hot cocoa or tea.”

Finally, sophomore Olivia Pierre is an artist and relishes the snow for promoting creativity and beauty.

“I’m an aspiring creative writer, so I’ve been spending the snow day taking inspiration from the delicate snowfall outside, and putting it all into the scenes that I can manifest in my creative work. The world around you is sometimes the best inspiration you can ask for.”