Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Meridian girls basketball succeed against Heritage in close game

Senior Maureen Tremblay (23) hits a free throw to put the Mustangs up by two (Photo by Ben Mossburg)

Meridian Girls Basketball (13-4) went to battle on the hardwood against Heritage (9-6) on Feb. 2, winning 48-46. The game got off to a slow start as the score was 11-9 after one quarter. Junior Ellie Friesen led the scoring with 3 points in the first quarter. The Mustangs tacked on 12 in the second quarter to have a halftime lead of 23-17. 

The Mustangs had a quick jump start to the third, with 4:33 to go in the third their 6-0 run extended the lead. The Pride responded with a 7-0 run with 1:53 left in the third quarter, and the game kept going back and forth between the 2 teams. 

The game was within five points with 5:11 to go in fourth as the score was 40-35. Heritage scored the next 7 of the 9 points between the two teams and it was all tied up with exactly 3 minutes till the game ended. All knotted up at 42. In the next 1:30 both teams scored two points and the score was still tied 44-44. 

With around 0:40 on the clock the Pride took their first lead of the night. Freshman Charlotte Lieu took the ball to mid court and someone shoved her. The ref threw up the X with their arms signals for a technical foul. This means the shooter gets to shoot 2 free throws and Meridian maintains possession. Lieu hit one of two so the Pride only led by one. Maureen Tremblay drove  to the basket and got fouled on the next possession. Fortunately for the Mustangs, she hit both of the free throws and Meridian led by one. Heritage drove the ball down the court, took a shot and missed. The Mustang rebounded the ball. The refs called a foul which sended the Mustangs to the line with 5 seconds to go. Trembly hit 1 of 2 and there is a 2 point game. Heritage took a shot from around the free throw line but it missed and the Mustangs won 48-46.

According to Coach Carrico, the team prepares for close, high pressure games in practice, especially as the competition intensifies in the playoff season. 

“We practice some sort of situation or whether it be the end of game and a quarter something every single day so we do full court stuff… playoff season [games are] win or go home you know so it’s gonna be games just like this.”