Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

BSU assembly: The State of The Dream

On Monday, Feb 12, The Black Student Union (BSU) hosted a panel discussion about racism in our community. They brought in speakers from all different backgrounds and professions to talk about their experiences as people of color. Most importantly, they talked about how we should change the way we think about race. 

The name of the event, “The State of The Dream,” refers to Dr. Martin Luther King’s speech and his famous words “I Have a Dream.” The goal of the panel was to see how far we have come in realizing that dream and how much further there is to go. Bethany Micheal, part of BSU leadership, said that the goal of the panel was to “gain a new outlook towards the state of our dream for the future.” 

BSU wanted students to “better understand their individual and collective power and roles in the actualizing of Dr. King’s Dream,” said the organization’s teacher advisor Mr. Patrick Garland. To him, the panel was about using speakers from different life experiences to ensure community members felt “valued, safe, seen, heard, and respected.” 

The speakers were asked to discuss their personal experiences with racial discrimination and exclusion. The speakers present included NBC news anchor Anthony Perkins, neuroscientist Dr. Eddie Billingslea, award-winning DJ Duke, educator Dr. Nardos King, Falls Church City educator Dr. William Bate, and CEO Mrs. Arline-Bradly. 

In an interview with The Lasso the speakers were asked what the speakers wanted students to get out of this panel they all agreed: a better understanding. Perkins described how he wanted students to gain “a real understanding of where we are today, and how much work there still is.” He said he wants students to understand this issue’s importance and the amount of work that still needs to be done. 

BSU leaders feel that their goal of the panel was accomplished. “I do believe our goal was reached in terms of the speakers sharing their interpretation of the dream, and effectively educating our school population,” said BSU leader Bethany Michaels. She said that the speakers were more than happy to speak about their experiences and how we can impact or change how our world views this issue.

Mr. Garland said that the goal of the event, to educate and learn about “the state of the dream,” was achieved. He feels that this panel was a good starting place and that any conversation about change is a good conversation. 

“It is my firm belief that conversations, when held with a sense of curiosity and a sincere interest in understanding, can change everything,