Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Meridian robotics team shines at recent competition

Meridian Robotics team celebrates their awards at the 2024 Meridian Robotics competition (Photo via Robotics Team)

The Meridian Robotics Team, officially known as FRC Team 1418 Vae Victis, is coming off a strong performance at the FIRST Robotics Chesapeake District Competition hosted in the Meridian Gym on March 23-24. Under the guidance of mentors Mr. Don Brobst and Mr. Steve Knight, the team not only showcased their technical abilities but also demonstrated the values of teamwork and professionalism. 

The competition brought together 36 teams from the Chesapeake Bay area. This year’s challenge was named “Crescendo” and required teams to design robots to create alliances with other teams and then race to create musical notes. During the intense two-day event, Team 1418’s robot, Mantis, made significant strides under the eyes of the skilled drive team. Ian Beaupain, the primary driver, maneuvered the robot with precision, while his fellow junior Nina Miller excelled as the alternate driver, scoring crucial points for the team. Team captain Will Kroboth played a pivotal role as the technician, ensuring the robot’s smooth operation on the field, while freshman Oles Solohub provided vital support as the human player. 

Ultimately, Team 1418 Vae Victis finished 4th out of 34 teams. The winning team was the Fresta Valley Robotics Club from Warrenton. 

Preparation for such a competition is rigorous, with the team dedicating six weeks to designing, building, programming, and refining their robot under the watchful eyes of Mr. Brobst and Mr. Knight. 

Drive team captain Mya Taheri emphasized the importance of collaboration and effective communication during competitions. “Every member plays a crucial role in our success, from strategizing with other teams to engaging with judges and promoting our team values.”

The team’s efforts were rewarded with two FIRST Robotics awards this year. Safety captain Sofia Kruszynski was recognized with the All-Star Safety Award for her dedication to maintaining safety standards. Additionally, the team received the Team Sustainability Award, sponsored by Dow, underscoring their commitment to environmental administration and long-term continuity. 

One of the core values of FIRST is “Gracious Professionalism,” where teams cooperate and support each other. FRC 1418 has been recognized with numerous “Gracious Professionalism” awards, which are nominated by other teams. 

Mr. Brobst, who has been a mentor for the team since 2009 after a career as an engineer for BAE Systems, takes great pride in the team’s efforts to help support others within the robotics community. 

“Every skill they learn in school and put to use in a practical real-world application. Reading, writing, analyzing problems, math calculations, applying the laws of physics, and time management contribute to their educational experience and prepare them for the future,” Brobst said.

With their achievements and dedication, the team continues to inspire and lead in the world of STEM education and competition. As Mr. Brobst summarized, “The joy on the team’s faces is always precious. Each time we participate in competitions, it’s a unique experience filled with pride and accomplishment.”