Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Humans VS Animals

An Eastern Chimpanzee hides in the brush and reveals its sharp canine teeth. (Photo by Rod Waddington)

Meridian students were asked whether they could compete against various animals in a fight without weapons. Something important to note is that humans are among the best endurance runners on the planet. For the purpose of this hypothetical scenario, picture that it is ‘you’ against the animal in an open space (or open water if applicable) engaging in combat without retreat.

Claims of the ‘supernatural strength’ of chimps have circulated the internet for years. “Our results show that chimpanzee muscle exceeds human muscle in maximum dynamic force and power output by ∼1.35 times,” states the National Institute of Health. However, chimps are not nearly as strong as people think. Chimps are only about a third stronger on average, yet humans are capable of becoming stronger through strength training. 

“…if it really came down to it, I think I could beat a chimpanzee,” senior Carson Ramey said.

Despite the seemingly underwhelming difference in strength and cardiovascular endurance, these primates are still wild animals that are significantly more aggressive than humans and happen to possess very sharp canine teeth. 

“No I could not,” senior Maureen Trembly said.

According to Britannica, the two most common bears in North America are the black bear and the brown bear. One of the most notable differences between the two is that a brown bear is on average a lot bigger, stronger, and more aggressive than a black bear. However, black bears are also capable of being dangerous, as they are very docile and easily scared. According to PBS, male black bears generally weigh between 125 to 500 pounds, while female bears weigh from 90 to 300 lbs. With that being said, one would have a better chance if the bear ran on the smaller side. Regardless, junior Alex Felgar was not confident that he could defeat one. He simply laughed at the question.

This next animal could not be defeated underwater without weaponry: the giant squid. We were pleasantly surprised and relieved to see that none of the students thought they could beat one. 

“You’d stand no chance against a squid in open water, you’re basically asking to lose,” junior Ben Kozbelt said.

“The giant squid is massive and when fully grown can be at least 33 feet (10 meters) long,” states National Geographic. Giant squid also have teeth capable of easily tearing flesh.

This next one is a very interesting matchup with mixed answers. The American Pit Bull Terrier is much smaller than an average human, weighing between 35 to 60 pounds. With a bite force of around 235 pounds per square inch (psi) compared to a human’s psi of 120-160, it’s clear the Pit Bull has a huge advantage in terms of canine use. The common consensus is that the only chance of beating a Pit Bull is to either kick it or somehow get behind it and perform a chokehold (which would be unlikely).

“Yes, I think I got it,” senior Jon Talka said.

Out of all the animals on this list, the American Pit Bull Terrier would be the one that is most likely to be defeated.

Despite this, not everyone thinks they are capable.

“No, I couldn’t,” sophomore Emiglio Icabalceta responded.

When it comes to facing off against a wild animal that is our size or larger, the likelihood of us winning such a confrontation without weapons (especially when it is in an open area) is slim. This is due to a combination of factors including the sheer power, aggression, physical tools (teeth, claws, etc.), and instincts of these creatures, which have evolved over millennia to survive and thrive in their respective habitats.