Maybe Wild Horse Wednesdays aren’t such a bad idea

Evan Jones, News Editor

Last Wednesday, following block one, I mistakenly began heading towards the junior alcove, eager to enjoy my mustang block. Thankfully, I caught myself. I would have to wait an hour for mustang block; we had Wild Horse Wednesday.

Like many other students, I was shocked by the sudden change in our schedule. After hearing an explanation of this new schedule, I still pondered whether or not the change was meaningful.

However, after two Wild Horse Wednesdays, I have realized that Wild Horse Wednesdays are more beneficial than the goofy name implies. This structure helps students, teachers, and the administration.

Essentially, every Wednesday, students will report from block one to their stable groups. This lasts for an hour until students will be released for mustang block. This time can have many uses, namely for assemblies, fairs, extracurriculars, and more.

“It’s an opportunity for us to organize our time in order to learn things that we don’t necessary learn in the classroom,” describes Mrs. Holly Garcia, who’s helped to coordinate Wild Horse Wednesdays.

This may seem pointless, but consider the benefits.

First, this adds some much needed structure to the system of events at Mason. From now on, scheduled rarities will occur at a given time. Teachers and students can rely on this, no longer caught off guard by a random assembly or a sudden career fair. From here, teachers and students can work around these activities.

This gives the administration a given time to schedule and plan for these events. This alleviates pressure involved with planning and generally, it standardizes what has previously been a somewhat unorganized system.

This newfound organization will likely increase the ability of the school to put on these events, as there is now a designated time for them. And this will make our school days more unique and entertaining.

Student talks with presenter at the recent Wild Horse Wednesday Service Fair, while other students linger in the background.
Mason students enjoy Wild Horse Wednesday’s Service Fair, learning about different ways to get involved in our local communities (Photo by Marybeth Connelly).

Another added benefit of this change is the block’s function as a break from the regular schedule. All students are familiar with the intense emphasis placed on academics at George Mason. With such a competitive educational environment, it is important that students are offered times to take breaks. Mustang block does this, but an additional weekly break is likely beneficial for students.

This is especially true considering the total time spent in block three under the previous schedule. Last year, two weeks of school would typically contain ten hours worth of block three, compared to the seven and a half hours of other classes. While this may not mean that we should strip this time from block three, if there is a better use of that extra time, it is not detrimental to the teacher and the class.

When we do not have an assembly, fair, or rodeo, the time will be devoted to a number of things. Students can expect to engage with career exploration, IB requirements, and various educational activities. These activities will help encourage a growth mindset, while also helping students bond with their stable mates.

“I am personally super excited to see where [Wild Horse Wednesdays] lead. Having that time to work on new projects or finish things we need to I think can be very helpful as well. I just hope the execution matches that,” said junior Ciara Curtin.

Wild Horse Wednesdays, if implemented smoothly and consistently, can provide structure to events we have at George Mason, benefiting everyone involved. It also balances the timing given to different blocks, while giving students a weekly break from the rigors of George Mason and a group of friends in their stable group.