Mason volleyball team to host annual “Dig Pink” game

Stella Turner, Former Editor-in-Chief

On October 17, the Mason volleyball teams, adorned with their special pink jerseys, will flood into the MEH Gym ready to take down their opponent, Central Woodstock, while also ready to help take down breast cancer.

Each season, the volleyball program partners with the Side Out Foundation, a non-profit organization based in Fairfax, Virginia. The foundation is dedicated to awareness and fundraising for metastatic breast cancer research. 

This foundation is well-known for its unique research. Each treatment is tailored to the molecular architecture of the cancerous cells of a specific patient, known as targeted therapy.

“[Dig Pink] is very important to the team and me,” said sophomore and varsity right-side hitter Katie Teague. “It’s a good way for us to fundraise and give back to the community.”

Currently, the varsity volleyball team has a record of 11-4, and are undefeated in the district, 7-0.

Last year’s varsity volleyball team celebrates Dig Pink before the start of their game. This year, the Dig Pink game will take place on October 8. Photo courtesy of Will Turner.

“Dig Pink is our big game,” said Teague.“It’s like volleyball’s homecoming.”

Mason students, volleyball fans, and members of the community are all encouraged to come support the volleyball teams on Tuesday at 6 pm (JV) and 7:15 (varsity), sporting their pink clothes or Mason gear.