Book Review: One of us is lying

Book+cover

The book cover of One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus. The plots of the book will keep you on the edge of your seat as Simon’s killer is unveiled. (Cover of Karen M. McManus)

Olaiya Lewis, Staff Reporter

The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars, One of Us Is Lying is the story of what happens when five strangers walk into detention and only four walk out of it alive. Everyone is a suspect, and everyone has something to hide.

Pay close attention and you might solve this.

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.

Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule.

Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess.

Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.

Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.

And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High’s notorious gossip app.

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention, Simon’s dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn’t an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he’d planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who’s still on the loose?

Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.

Coming January 7th, 2020 as a book and a show, later on, this month’s book club chose the mysterious thriller/drama One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus. This book draws you in and keeps you on your toes. The story is told from four different points of view, Bronwyn’s, Addy’s, Cooper’s and Nate’s, (the Bayview Four) all four are top suspects in a murder. 

Synopsis of the first four chapters:

Simon was the runner of the notorious gossip app About That, he spilled everyone’s secrets. When Simon dies there is no shortage of people who would have been willing to kill him, but only four unlucky kids were in the room where it happened.

It all starts out when these five students were sent to detention for having their phones in their backpacks in class, only all of them claim that none of those phones were theirs. 

During detention, there is a car accident in the parking lot. As the teacher goes out to see what happened, Simon grabs a cup from by the sink and takes a long sip of water causing him to have an allergic reaction. The kids look for his epi-pens, but there weren’t any in his backpack or the nurse’s office. Simon is pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital and his autopsy reveals that he had ingested significant amounts of peanut oil before his death. 

The next day a Tumbler post, seemingly written by the killer, titled “About That” details the plot to kill Simon.

Who did it? Read the book and uncover the answers to the secret on everyone’s mind.