Mustangs defeat Dragons and claim regular season district title

Carter Mackinnon, Staff Reporter

girls basketball team
The girls basketball team secured the regular season district title on Wednesday with their win over the William Monroe Dragons (Photo via Becki Creed on Twitter)

George Mason defeated William Monroe 57-38 on Wednesday night to secure the regular season district title.

“The girls play really well together and strive to get better every day (both in practice and during games),” Coach Carrico said. “We have several players that have evolved into leaders on the team, both through example and verbally. Our biggest key to success though is because everyone contributes.” 

The Mustangs got off to a hot start in the first quarter and went up 14-4 sparked by a 3 pointer from sophomore forward Elizabeth Creed (#33).

George Mason (10-0) took control of the game and outscored William Monroe 13-5 in the second quarter. Monroe had 7 turnovers and shot 2-9 from the field in the quarter.

Mason junior Bella Paradiso (#14) finished the half with 9 points (7 in Q2) and Mason held a 27-9 halftime lead. No team this season has scored more than 16 points in the first half against the Mustangs.

“Our biggest strength is our defense and when we play on that strength we can win games. We have really good communication and we all have good instincts,” sophomore Elizabeth Creed said. “We just mold really good together and we’re able to switch and play great help without many mistakes.” 

The Dragons (9-2) weren’t able to make a run at the Mustangs in the third period. The Mustangs led the quarter 42-19. 

The Dragons hit a couple three pointers in the 4th quarter but it was still no match for the Mustangs who prevailed 57-38. The Dragons were led by Ella Weaver (#22) with 11 points and Hailey Morris with 9 points.

Paradiso led the Mustangs with 15 points. Zoraida Icabalceta (#5) had 14 points and six assists and Elizabeth Creed had 12 points. Natalie Cannon provided bench scoring with a basket.

The Mustangs have had a next girl up mentality this season.

“Carrico tells us everyday that all 14 of us can play and we are all an asset to the team. It’s a really encouraging mindset because everyone is contributing one way or another and is a part of this team. Anyone on this team can go into a game and make a play,” junior Bella Paradiso said.

The Mustangs will try to keep their perfect season alive as the Falcons of Central High School come to Falls Church on Friday night.