What’s going on with music at homecoming?

Preston Lieu, Staff Contributer

The Homecoming dance is this Saturday, October 2nd, from 7-10 PM on the Meridian football field. (Graphic by Eva Williams)

Homecoming is back in action, and this Saturday, October 2, will be the first opportunity in two years for the whole student body to dance and sing together. That being said, it is important to note that numerous changes have been made regarding music at homecoming.

Meridian has hired a new DJ for the dance, whose name is Cedric. He will be handling all the music for the event. The music playlist will look quite different for this special occasion. This time, students will be creating the majority of the playlist, with the DJ adding in energetic dance songs.

“In previous years, the DJ had the freedom to play any song they wanted. This event will be a more student driven song playlist,” said senior class SCA sponsor Will Snyder, who is organizing the music for the dance along with co-sponsor Kenneth George. In fact, this is the first time ever that over 300 total song requests from Meridian students have been handed over to the DJ.

If you’re still wondering if music requests are still being taken, Mr. Snyder said, “Song requests were made through a Google Form sent out to all students via Schoology, and no more songs are being accepted.”

Seniors and juniors dance on the field under strobe lights at prom. (Stella Turner)

All genres of music will be played and the music will not be tied to the dance’s theme of neon.

It is clear that there is a lot to look forward this homecoming. As Mr. Snyder says, “Students should be very excited that this is the first homecoming dance ever that is going to be outside and under the stars in the chilly fall weather.”

We are looking forward to seeing all of you this Saturday at homecoming!