5 to 11-year olds are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine

Kaylah Curley, Managing Editor

Be sure to check tweets and emails from FCCPS for information as well. (FCCPS )

Children aged five to 11 years old are now eligible to get the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. On November 2, 2021, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky approved the vaccine for the youngest population yet after a unanimous vote from the agency’s advisory committee.  

The vaccine is still a two-dose shot administered at least 14 days apart. While the vaccine is a third of the dose administered to those 12 years and older, it works the same way.

Many pharmacies, such as CVS, and pediatricians are now taking appointments to get the new vaccine. As of publication, Pfizer-BioNTech is the only vaccine that can be administered to children under the age of 12. 

With the rise in pediatric COVID cases all over the country the approval of this vaccine comes at a perfect time. 

FCCPS students who are eligible for this new vaccine attend Oak Street Elementary or Mount Daniel Elementary. Similar to the vaccine clinics held in the MEH gym last school year, there are plans on holding another vaccine clinic for Elementary students.

The first dose vaccine clinic is on Wednesday, November 17, 2021. The second dose is scheduled for two weeks later, on December 8. Both clinics will take place at the Oak Street Elementary School gymnasium. More information will be provided soon and can be found on the Fairfax County Health Department website.