Historic accomplishments: Fall sports recap

Elizabeth Creed and Stella Turner

Cheer

The varsity cheer team encourages the crowd to join in on cheering for the football players. (Stella Turner)

In addition to cheering on Meridian’s football games, the cheer team won their first invitational in Meridian history this season, and placed 3rd at the Region 3B competition. They also won first place at their cheer camp over the summer, and will travel to Florida to compete in Game Day Nationals at Disney World.

The varsity cheer team had three All-District first team cheerleaders: seniors Emma Ward, Elle Ehrlich, and Haleigh Boggs, as well as three All-District second team cheerleaders: senior Pariss Quaintance and juniors Julie Capozzi and Alyssa Kay. Ward, Elle, Boggs, Quaintance, Capozzi, Kay, and junior Aylish Keehan were also named All-American cheerleaders.

Cross Country

The boys’ and girls’ cross country teams take a picture together after the Region 3B meet, where they placed second and third respectively. Photo via Instagram/@mhsxc.tf

The Meridian cross country teams ended their seasons strong at the 3A state meet in November, with the girls’ team finishing in third place and the boys’ team finishing in seventh place. The girls were led by Meridian’s sole All-State runner, senior Lauren Mellon, in 15th place, followed by freshman Molly Moore in 21st and junior Alexis Niemi in 29th. The boys were led by sophomore Tucker Albaugh in 19th place, senior Sean Pala in 41st, and junior Henry Hladky in 46th.

The girls’ team also finished second in the Northwestern District and third in the Region 3B meets, with Mellon, Moore, Niemi, and freshman Ally Campbell being All-District finishers. The boys’ were District Champions and Region runner-ups, with Pala, Hladky, Albaugh, and seniors Troy Ehrlich and Eli Wildman being All-District finishers.

Field Hockey

The Meridian field hockey team takes a photo with their District Champions trophy after a 1-0 game against Fauquier County. Photo via Instagram/@meridian_fh

For the first time since the team’s creation in 2013, the Meridian field hockey team won the Northwestern District championship. They finished the year with an 11-9 record and even advanced to the state tournament before ultimately losing to Tabb High School in the state quarterfinals. The team is graduating seven seniors and will have to rely on underclassmen to carry the team for the upcoming season. 

For postseason awards, seniors Sarah Ettinger, Eleanor Gieser, and Caroline Sherard were named to the All-District First Team. Juniors Adelaide Langford and Mia Mayer, sophomore Cassie Dubois, and freshman Lucy Hladky were named to the All-District Second Team. 

Football

Seniors Patrick Whitaker and Seth Stillwagoner embrace each other in mid air after Whitaker’s touchdown gave the Mustangs the lead in their victory against Clarke County. (Stella Turner)

The Meridian football team’s historic season came to a heart-breaking end in the regional championship game on November 26. Led by 23 seniors, the team rolled to a 10-3 record and was even ranked first within Region 3B as they headed into the playoffs. The team was defeated in the Region Finals with a last minute touchdown by Brentsville District running back Bryce Jackson. 

Many of the players were awarded with postseason accolades: Seniors Garrett Benson, Patrick Whitaker, Ben Varner, Evans Rice, Josh Stillwagoner, Seth Stillwagoner, Graham Felgar, and George Papadopoulos were named to the All-District 1st Team. Seniors Alex Gorman Dorsey, Ryan Ibelli, Griffin Harrison, Patrick Whitaker, and Junior Josh Wattles were named to the All-District 2nd Team.  In addition, Papadopoulos was named the Northwestern District Defensive Player of the Year. 

Boys Golf

Six Meridian golfers qualified to compete at states as a team  in early October. Photo via Instagram/@meridian.golf

This past season was one of the most successful years in recent memory for the Meridian golf team. Senior Jack Biggs, juniors Ethan Bartlett and Carson Ruoff, sophomores Ben Meade and Dean Zike, and freshman Noah Peng comprised the team of six that placed second at the District and Regional tournaments, and they made school history by sending a full team of golfers to the state tournament. Junior Ethan Bartlett led the team at states, placing 17th with a score of 79. The team placed sixth overall, but created momentum that will carry into future seasons. 

Girls’ Golf

Members of the girls’ golf team take a picture during the annual Powderpuff game, despite the senior-junior rivalry. Photo via Instagram/@meridian.golf

This was the first year that the female golfers at Meridian were able to have their own distinctive team, led by head coach Chris Carrico. Although the girls didn’t participate in many matches this past season, the team was able to compete in a match against Yorktown at Pinecrest Golf Course. The team was made up of Seniors Maddie Deering, Greta Ross, and Bella Paradiso, and juniors Elizabeth Creed and Peyton Jones. 

Volleyball

The Meridian volleyball team celebrates after a block by sophomore Ivy Anderson and senior Katie Teague. Photo by Will Turner

After coming off of a District and Region Championship season this past spring, which finally ended 15-1 in the state semifinals, the Meridian Volleyball team struggled to close out matches this season, ending 6-17 with a loss in the regional quarterfinals against Warren County. With 7 seniors graduating after the 2020-2021 season, this year was an opportunity for learning and rebuilding, with only 6 players returning. 

The season began with a challenging schedule, starting against 8 Class 6A schools. Meridian fared better within the Northwestern District, going 3-1 in the final weeks of the regular season. The team earned two Second-Team All-Region honors, senior Lily Kulok and junior Stella Turner. The team also earned three Second Team All-District Honors: sophomore Ivy Anderson, Kulok, and Turner.